The Student Room Group

Of Mice and Men IGCSE Edexcel

I was prepping for a question for crooks that may/may not come tomorrow (this might be a stupid question) and when writing that he was reffered to as a 'n***er', do i actaully write the word as it is, add the stars or write 'the n word' ??
(edited 1 year ago)
I think either is fine. I think I'll write the stars as it's what the teacher told me.
There aren't really any strict rules about this from what I've seen. Our English teacher a couple of years ago said to do what we were comfortable with, but his personal view was to censor it (so add the stars), as I remember him saying that the only way to get rid of language like that was to take it out of circulation or something like that.

I personally would censor it, or perhaps make a reference to it rather than quoting it directly (like instead of quoting the n word, say that the other ranch hands refer to him using derogatory terms), or just use different quotes altogether. You can get a lot out of Crooks without having to quote language like that if you don't want to.

This quizlet here has some good starting points for quotes on characters, including Crooks, if you're stuck for them:

https://quizlet.com/gb/599957926/eng...s-flash-cards/

Quick Reply

Latest