Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Let's suppose that you are sitting all 3 AS Level modules in the May/june of an academic year.

In March the exams officer will register you with the appropriate exam board and
    enter you for the 3 modules to be sat in the following June.

In addition there is a cash-in code if you wish to certify for the AS Level in that subject.
    Without that code you do not get an AS Level in that subject.
    (I'm guessing that most people are not fully aware of the mechanics of exam entry)

So if the school has attached that cash-in code to your name and then forwarded it to the exam board,
    the PROCESS of certification is set in motion.
    If on results day you have a piece of paper that says you have a grade in that subject then that
    qualification has been certified.As I said earlier its a process and nothing to do with the grade.
    Its worth also worth saying that many schools do not actually cash-in at the end of the AS year.

Edessa from my experience of UCAS, ringing two diferent days can yield two different responses.

(Original post by Xentrix)
    Let's suppose that you are sitting all 3 AS Level modules in the May/june of an academic year.

In March the exams officer will register you with the appropriate exam board and
    enter you for the 3 modules to be sat in the following June.

In addition there is a cash-in code if you wish to certify for the AS Level in that subject.
    Without that code you do not get an AS Level in that subject.
    (I'm guessing that most people are not fully aware of the mechanics of exam entry)

So if the school has attached that cash-in code to your name and then forwarded it to the exam board,
    the PROCESS of certification is set in motion.
    If on results day you have a piece of paper that says you have a grade in that subject then that
    qualification has been certified.As I said earlier its a process and nothing to do with the grade.
    Its worth also worth saying that many schools do not actually cash-in at the end of the AS year.

Edessa from my experience of UCAS, ringing two diferent days can yield two different responses.

Yes, i understand what this means.
    However, I have seen people with an overall U grade - it does not get cashed in on results day. It doesn't show up as a 'FINAL' grade - it merely shows up as a unit not a subject (like Mechanics 1 - 15(U) but without the subject) - this therefore means that a FAIL does not need to be shown as it is not cashed in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeanK2)
    YOU DO NOT HAVE TO DECLARE YOUR GRADES UNLESS CASHED IN.

Unless you got a formal certificate from the exam board you do not have to declare, no matter what your school says. Schools usually cash in at A2, so people can do resits.
    If a grade has been declared, it means that they put your overall grades on the result slip along with your module grades.
    It has nothing to do with receiving a formal certificate (which most people get in Dec, anyway) from what I've been told.

I was told, by UCAS, that we had to put the U down.

ReputationRep:
    Stricof:

Not sure if we are now talking at cross purposes:

What do you mean by seen?

Do you mean that you have seen a results slip such as:

C1 40% E
    C2 54% D
    M1 5% U

Which overall equates to a U grade in AS Level maths?

If the candidate has anothe piece of paper with Maths grade U on then the qual has been certified.
    If the candidate doesn't have a piece of paper then whilst their marks are
    equivalent to a U grade they don't actually have it(uncertified)

I agree that if it doesn't show up as a final grade then it doesn't have to go on a UCAS but OP said that
    they actually had a U grade and not marks equlivalent to a U grade.

some schools don't give their students the overall grade sheet, but that can lead to students working out their overall grade without actually getting it. Which can lead to problems when filling in UCAS form.

ReputationRep:
    AH, conflicting information.

To clarify, I got a DUU in psychology, so overall grade is a U. I sat the last two papers (the two U's) so on the results sheet it was listed as a 'U'.

Hope that helps, I'll have to send off/pay for it tomorrow so hopefully I can get a majority answer and just go with it!

Cheers for the help.

(Original post by Xentrix)
    Stricof:

Not sure if we are now talking at cross purposes:

What do you mean by seen?

Do you mean that you have seen a results slip such as:

C1 40% E
    C2 54% D
    M1 5% U

Which overall equates to a U grade in AS Level maths?

If the candidate has anothe piece of paper with Maths grade U on then the qual has been certified.
    If the candidate doesn't have a piece of paper then whilst their marks are
    equivalent to a U grade they don't actually have it(uncertified)

I agree that if it doesn't show up as a final grade then it doesn't have to go on a UCAS but OP said that
    they actually had a U grade and not marks equlivalent to a U grade.

some schools don't give their students the overall grade sheet, but that can lead to students working out their overall grade without actually getting it. Which can lead to problems when filling in UCAS form.

I mean

C1 - 11 (U)
    C2 - 25 (U)
    M1 - 4 (U)

This is the unit grade, i observed that there was NO consideration taken into the subject because it failed. The other units actually had subjects next to them but maths didn't.

No other paper saying You've failed - just a unit fail as Edexcel/OCR/MEI andAQA States that they will only release grades unit of which have passed (i.e E or better)

Therefore, it is as you say; uncertified.
    So yes some agreement.

The OP got DUU = very low U anyway
    Thus it doesn't actually show up, thus does not need to be shown as we, rightly agree.

:yep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.