French Listening Exam Issues

Watch this thread
melonmangomarmo
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi, today I had my French Listening exam with AQA. The paper in general went fine, but there were multiple issues with the audio track such as jittering, and the invigilators kept putting the recording back to the wrong place after fixing the issues (they happened multiple times), which was quite distracting. One of the invigilators said that they would send off a note along with our papers explaining all the issues, but what exactly can the exam board do to support us with this to allow us not to be at a disadvantage to other students in the country? Would they lower grade boundaries specifically for us, or give us some xtra marks to make up for it? Would they make us resit at a later date or give us teacher assessed grades just for the listening?

Would appreciate the security of knowing what to realistically expect.
bears15
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
Were you able to hear the rest of the audio fine after the jittering? I'm not sure if there's much the exam board can do as my exam has issues with audio at the beginning which led to a 20 minute late start. Maybe the examiners would take into account the distractions and be more lenient with marking?
melonmangomarmo
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
we were able to, but of course the issue kept happening, and so it wasn't exactly like it was a late start and then fine with no distractions, it was a constant interruption that was distracting for everyone, especially as we were constantly anxious it was about to happen again
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by melonmangomarmo)
Hi, today I had my French Listening exam with AQA. The paper in general went fine, but there were multiple issues with the audio track such as jittering, and the invigilators kept putting the recording back to the wrong place after fixing the issues (they happened multiple times), which was quite distracting. One of the invigilators said that they would send off a note along with our papers explaining all the issues, but what exactly can the exam board do to support us with this to allow us not to be at a disadvantage to other students in the country? Would they lower grade boundaries specifically for us, or give us some xtra marks to make up for it? Would they make us resit at a later date or give us teacher assessed grades just for the listening?

Would appreciate the security of knowing what to realistically expect.
Your centre will apply for special consideration. This is a standard process used by the examiners. Intermittent problems with audio equipment are not uncommon and the examiners have a standard response to it.
The examiners can increase your marks if they feel the disadvantage you experienced was significant enough. Keep in mind though that these adjustments are quite small.

The extent of any adjustment they decide will depend on exactly what the exams staff write in their report.
From what you describe the decision could be anything between 0% - 2% of available marks.
Last edited by gdunne42; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (7)
41.18%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (4)
23.53%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
11.76%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (0)
0%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (0)
0%
I’m starting to consider my university options (3)
17.65%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
5.88%

Watched Threads