Should I take 4 A-levels

Watch this thread
bs123456789
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi, I am in year 11 and so finalising my a-level plans. I am currently planning to apply for psychology at uni and so am planning my a-levels around that - depending on my gcse results, I may or may not apply for PBS at Cambridge. However, I don't know whether to take 4 A-levels... Currently I am planning on doing RE, psychology and maths with biology as my reserve (I am also hoping to do an EPQ).Should I take bio as a fourth because it is a lot of extra work and I don't know if it is worth risking lower grades which would prevent me from getting in anyway, especially given all unis only need 3 A-levels anyway.
bea_murray0
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by bs123456789)
Hi, I am in year 11 and so finalising my a-level plans. I am currently planning to apply for psychology at uni and so am planning my a-levels around that - depending on my gcse results, I may or may not apply for PBS at Cambridge. However, I don't know whether to take 4 A-levels... Currently I am planning on doing RE, psychology and maths with biology as my reserve (I am also hoping to do an EPQ).Should I take bio as a fourth because it is a lot of extra work and I don't know if it is worth risking lower grades which would prevent me from getting in anyway, especially given all unis only need 3 A-levels anyway.
You don't need 4 A levels to make a competitive application, and it may actually be a disadvantage. It's better to have AAA than AABB, plus doing 4, especially content-heavy ones will leave less time for the supercurricular activities Cambridge love
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Three plus an EPQ is perfect.
(Original post by bs123456789)
bs123456789
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Thank you, that's really helpful!
_Robyn_
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
There's no point doing 4 a levels. One, unis only care about 3 and two, it'll be a lot of work. As the above user said, doing 3 and the epq would be perfect
hiabsotd
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
i would only recommend taking four if you either really love the subject or if taking it will significantly help you when applying to university. You said that you want to do psychology at uni, so i would suggest looking at a few universities that you're interested in and taking a look at their entry requirements for that course! another suggestion is maybe substituting another a level with bio if you really feel like four a levels will be too much. don't completely worry about the workload yet, as you still have the beginning of y12 to drop it if it's too much, and it's better to drop an a level compared to regretting not taking one - good luck!
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by hiabsotd)
or if taking it will significantly help you when applying to university.
It wont.
No UK wants more than 3 A levels.
hiabsotd
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by McGinger)
It wont.
i didn't mean taking four a levels in general, i just meant specifically taking biology for psychology at uni if they say that they need it as a subject😭but if they don't need biology then there's no point in taking it as a fourth
frumentarius
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by McGinger)
It wont.
universities for engineering maths and even some sciences recommend Further Maths which is a 4th A level and it is very hard to find a 6th form that offers 3 a levels including FM
Also they do want more than 3. They would ideally want 1000000+ but that won't happen. 4 A* is better than 3A*
They do not need it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.25%
As I expected (24)
30%
Harder (30)
37.5%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
6.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise