quiet halls at uni

Watch this thread
lilygbh
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
i've just been offered a place in a quiet room at southampton uni, which i've accepted. i applied to quiet halls because i'm autistic, and although part of me wanted to go with regular rooms and deal with it, i think i've made the right choice in making things a bit easier for myself.
i don't know all that much about quiet halls, though. probably should have done some research before giving southampton my card details, but here we are. i have a couple of questions if anyone here has stayed in quiet halls, and i'd love to hear some experiences if you wouldn't mind sharing them! (this is not me wondering whether or not a quiet hall would be right for me, since it's a bit late now - due to the aforementioned autism i'd just like to know what to expect.)

- are there rules you have to follow in a quiet room, or does the name only mean a general agreement between everyone living there that you'll all be .. quiet? where exactly is the line between quiet and normal?
- for what reasons have people chosen to stay in quiet halls, besides autism?
- how sociable did anyone find quiet halls to be? i'm v excited about possibly meeting other autistic people (assuming that's a main demographic).
i know every group of people will be different - i'm just curious to hear from anyone who's experienced this.

thank you in advance
Uni of Southampton Students
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by lilygbh)
i've just been offered a place in a quiet room at southampton uni, which i've accepted. i applied to quiet halls because i'm autistic, and although part of me wanted to go with regular rooms and deal with it, i think i've made the right choice in making things a bit easier for myself.
i don't know all that much about quiet halls, though. probably should have done some research before giving southampton my card details, but here we are. i have a couple of questions if anyone here has stayed in quiet halls, and i'd love to hear some experiences if you wouldn't mind sharing them! (this is not me wondering whether or not a quiet hall would be right for me, since it's a bit late now - due to the aforementioned autism i'd just like to know what to expect.)

- are there rules you have to follow in a quiet room, or does the name only mean a general agreement between everyone living there that you'll all be .. quiet? where exactly is the line between quiet and normal?
- for what reasons have people chosen to stay in quiet halls, besides autism?
- how sociable did anyone find quiet halls to be? i'm v excited about possibly meeting other autistic people (assuming that's a main demographic).
i know every group of people will be different - i'm just curious to hear from anyone who's experienced this.

thank you in advance
Hi lilygbh,
I stayed in quiet halls during my first year (I am a third-year now so it was a while ago though) and I really enjoyed it! I stayed at Hartley Grove in Glen Eyre.

There weren't necessarily rules other than being asked (by the uni) to keep noise to a respectable level after 10 pm. This basically meant that there weren't loud parties every night so it was a bit quieter. During exam seasons, the rules were a little stricter (I think this was the same for non-quiet halls too).

I personally chose quiet halls as I am quite a shy person and am not a massive fan of drinking/parties.

I found quiet halls to be very sociable. I am still living with one of my flatmates in my third year as we got on so well. It was ideal for me as the people in my flat preferred to go to the cinema/for food rather than partying to get to know each other which is what I prefer too. Also, most people in my flat chose quiet halls so we were all in the same boat. It's worth mentioning though that I also made lots of friends outside of my flat (through societies, my course, etc) so I still had a generally sociable time in my first year regardless of my halls.

I hope this helps and feel free to ask any other questions you have!

Daisy (a third-year history Official Rep)
www.southampton.ac.uk
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (25)
27.78%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (31)
34.44%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (8)
8.89%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
3.33%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (5)
5.56%
I’m starting to consider my university options (13)
14.44%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (3)
3.33%
I’m not planning on going to university (2)
2.22%

Watched Threads