How would you integrate this pls help asap

Watch this thread
Htx_x346
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Idk how to integrate that. What would be the fastest method?Name:  725D40D5-0609-430B-8211-01BADF2C4875.jpeg
Views: 16
Size:  26.0 KB
Last edited by Htx_x346; 4 weeks ago
crashcody
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
Start with the sin2x formula. Square it then think about getting it in terms of cos. Then, you can use reverse chain rule with the sin.
Cocaiaaa
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Htx_x346)
Idk how to integrate that. What would be the fastest method?Name:  725D40D5-0609-430B-8211-01BADF2C4875.jpeg
Views: 16
Size:  26.0 KB
Is this just A2 a level maths. If it is I’m scared for my life 😟
Htx_x346
Rep:
(Original post by crashcody)
Start with the sin2x formula. Square it then think about getting it in terms of cos. Then, you can use reverse chain rule with the sin.

What about the sint at the end?
Cause we end up with sin^3t cos^2t I believe

(Original post by Cocaiaaa)
Is this just A2 a level maths. If it is I’m scared for my life 😟
Nah
Last edited by Htx_x346; 4 weeks ago
crashcody
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
What about the sint at the end?
Cause we end up with sin^3t cos^2t I believe

Nah
Yes, but don’t include the sin yet. Ill just give it away, so spoilers. Basically replace the sin^2 with 1-cos^2. Then you have a part with cos squared and cos ^4 etc. then multiple out with the sin and you should have two parts with a sin on the outside. Then you can use reverse chain rule.
Driving_Mad
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Nah
If you end up with sin^3tcos^2t, you could just re write this as sintcos^2tsin^2t, replace the sin^2t with 1 - cos^2t, and then integrate 4sintcos^2t - 4sintcos^4t
Htx_x346
Rep:
(Original post by crashcody)
Yes, but don’t include the sin yet. Ill just give it away, so spoilers. Basically replace the sin^2 with 1-cos^2. Then you have a part with cos squared and cos ^4 etc. then multiple out with the sin and you should have two parts with a sin on the outside. Then you can use reverse chain rule.
(Original post by Driving_Mad)
If you end up with sin^3tcos^2t, you could just re write this as sintcos^2tsin^2t, replace the sin^2t with 1 - cos^2t, and then integrate 4sintcos^2t - 4sintcos^4t
Thanks
Htx_x346
Rep:
Name:  1D8F2E59-7081-4C92-9F37-617F143C2A6A.jpeg
Views: 9
Size:  29.6 KBOkay idk what ive done wrong but im gettting a different answer to wolframalpha
I got cos^3 t -cos^5 t
Skiwi
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Size:  29.6 KBOkay idk what ive done wrong but im gettting a different answer to wolframalpha
I got cos^3 t -cos^5 t
I got something close to what you got, though I had coefficients Infront of my trig and different negative signs. Remember Wolfram will solve it differently, when I put it into symbolabs it also gives a third different solution, all of them should be able to rearrange into the other.

You could have solved it by getting to a point where you had a sin^5(t), then expanding out using demoivres and integrating. The answer would still be correct, just looks very different. Which is what I believe symbolabs did, no idea what Wolfram did
davros
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
I got cos^3 t -cos^5 t
The hint in post #6 is the way to do this As noted, you should have coefficients in front of your trig functions!
(Original post by Skiwi)
I got something close to what you got, though I had coefficients Infront of my trig and different negative signs. Remember Wolfram will solve it differently, when I put it into symbolabs it also gives a third different solution, all of them should be able to rearrange into the other.

You could have solved it by getting to a point where you had a sin^5(t), then expanding out using demoivres and integrating. The answer would still be correct, just looks very different. Which is what I believe symbolabs did, no idea what Wolfram did
If you write \cos(2t) = 2\cos^2t - 1, then 3\cos2t - 7 = 6\cos^2t - 10, so Wolfram's answer multiplies out to \dfrac{4}{5}\cos^5t - \dfrac{4}{3}\cos^3t, which is what I get when I integrate using the hint given in post #6
Skiwi
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by davros)
The hint in post #6 is the way to do this As noted, you should have coefficients in front of your trig functions!

If you write \cos(2t) = 2\cos^2t - 1, then 3\cos2t - 7 = 6\cos^2t - 10, so Wolfram's answer multiplies out to \dfrac{4}{5}\cos^5t - \dfrac{4}{3}\cos^3t, which is what I get when I integrate using the hint given in post #6
Yeh I reached the 4/5 cos^5.......
Is there any reason particular Wolfram gives the answer as that? Or is it just made to simplify things a certain way
davros
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Skiwi)
Yeh I reached the 4/5 cos^5.......
Is there any reason particular Wolfram gives the answer as that? Or is it just made to simplify things a certain way
I don't know what its internal algorithms are set to do tbh - I'm still amazed that you can plug random functions into an internet site and it will do this crazy stuff for you But there are quite often alternative forms for an integral (e.,g, logarithms instead of inverse hyperbolics, various equivalent trig identities etc) so don't panic too much if you get an alternative answer
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (19)
32.2%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.29%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.39%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.08%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.78%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
11.86%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.69%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.69%

Watched Threads