Can I do psychology at uni without a psychology or science a level?

Watch this thread
rorymichaels
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m a student in year 12 and I am currently doing sociology,English lit and performing arts at a level. I’ve had an interest in a psychology for a while and I am interested in studying it at university however I am concerned as I do not do psychology or a science subject. There are a fair amount of universities that don’t have specific subject requirements for a psych degree but I don’t know if I would be at a disadvantage. Advice?
Tracey_W
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by rorymichaels)
I’m a student in year 12 and I am currently doing sociology,English lit and performing arts at a level. I’ve had an interest in a psychology for a while and I am interested in studying it at university however I am concerned as I do not do psychology or a science subject. There are a fair amount of universities that don’t have specific subject requirements for a psych degree but I don’t know if I would be at a disadvantage. Advice?
A levels – While you don't need to have all three sciences at A level for a psychology degree, most universities prefer at least one out of chemistry, physics, biology, or maths. Overall, a combination of good, academic A level subjects is required. Psychology A level is desirable, but not usually required..
saskiahdltea
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Yoi normally just need at least one science, maybe have a look if sociology counts as a science for some unis
skylark2
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(bolded by me)

If they say they don't have specific subject requirements, then there aren't specific subject requirements.

If they don't say they prefer or recommend science subjects, then you are not at a disadvantage if you don't have science subjects.

There aren't secret selection criteria that they don't tell anyone and you have to try to find out by asking just the right person. If you need certain A levels to not be at a disadvantage, they'll be listed on the university webpage for the course.

(You will, of course, be at a massive disadvantage, to the point where it is not worth applying because you will be an auto-reject, for any university which requires a subject you're not taking - even if other universities don't require it for the same course title. But it sounds like you already know that and have been checking.)
thrivingfrog
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Some unis may accept sociology as part of the wider 'sciences' category but you'd be best checking yourself
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
If they don't require it you won't be at a disadvantage for admissions purposes, but you may find the course a much bigger challenge without that background (which is why many strong unis for the subject require at least one if not two such subjects).
University of Salford Student Rep
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi rorymichaels

It's awesome to see you want to do a degree in psychology. I've recently graduated with my degree in psychology from the University of Salford. some universities may require that you have a science and a number will consider sociology a science too. For our BSc (Hons) Psychology course we do not expect you to have an A-Level in psychology. However, it is very important that you show how passionate you are about the subject in your personal statement. You've still got time to be having a look around at different courses and their requirements so don't stress too much about it. Just ensure that the courses you're applying to are accredited by the BPS (British Psychological Society) as it will be much more help in the future.

Good luck with your A-Levels

Maryam Bham
University of Salford Student Rep
ChichesterStuRep
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi rorymichaels!

It's great to hear you're considering Psychology at A-level. It's a really popular area, here at Chichester it's quickly become one our most popular subjects in recent years!

Whether you need to have done it or a Science will vary according to University. Here at Chichester, for our BSc Psychology we ask for a Psychology or Science subject A-level at grade B. If a student doesn't have that, it will need to be determined with the Admissions team who will converse with the department, because they may have another subject that has the subject equivalent/transferrable experience. But that will depend on the academics who handle admissions in the department.

Other universities might not have a subject requirement like you say, in which case it shouldn't matter what you've studied before, the course content will assume everyone start's from the same level and it will build up from there, giving everyone the foundation to build on.

I hope this helps! Please feel free to ask any other questions, I'll be happy to help

Tom,
University of Chichester Student Rep and Alumni.
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi there,

A-levels are great but not necessary for most Universities. I'm an international student, and I've recently graduated from Coventry University with a BSc (Hons) Psychology degree and I would say that you'll be fine whether or not you take any A-levels before studying psychology at university. I did not take any A-level and yet graduated with a first-class degree. So, it all depends on your work ethic. Whichever university course you select for studying psychology, make sure that it is accredited by the British Psychological Society (BPS).

Hope that helps!

Ivaylo
Student Ambassador
Last edited by Coventry University Student Ambassadors; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (38)
26.21%
As I expected (47)
32.41%
Harder (53)
36.55%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.83%

Watched Threads