Investment Advisor Certification (IAC)

Watch this thread
manoharr
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am a Master's student who wants a job in investments. i was told by a recruiter to pay for this and study it and it will put me in a higher position to get my foot in the door, since I have no financial service experience.

what do you think?

https://cifa.ac/home/course/investme...ication-iac/12

any help would be greatly appreciated.
BenRyan99
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by manoharr)
I am a Master's student who wants a job in investments. i was told by a recruiter to pay for this and study it and it will put me in a higher position to get my foot in the door, since I have no financial service experience.

what do you think?

Personally I think that employers pay for you to do the worthwhile certificates (e.g. CFA, ACA, IMC, etc). The fact they're not willing to pay for it likely means that either they're not convinced it's that useful, or they're not that convinced in you.

Unless you formally agree how much extra you'll be on and can weigh this up with the course costs then I wouldn't recommend doing it out of your own pocket
AGW1983
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by manoharr)

what do you think?

Never heard of it. Personally, I would never take advice on what qualifications to get from a recruiter. You'd think they would be quite good at knowing what employers look for but I still get spammed on LinkedIn for jobs I am completely unqualified for every day.

If you want to work in Investments (by which I mean buyside investment management rather than finance more generally) then it wouldn't hurt to study for the IMC. It's not mandatory though and an employer will probably pay for it if you get in the door. What really matters is stellar academics, a decent degree, good performance at assessment days and a polished interview.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (38)
26.21%
As I expected (47)
32.41%
Harder (53)
36.55%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.83%

Watched Threads