Biology at uni- is it like the A level?

Watch this thread
Perplexed2
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
This is a question for current/recent Biological Sciences undergrads who also took Biology A level.

I'm presently in the lower sixth, studying maths, Chem and Biology A levels. I've been fascinated by Biology since I was a kid (particularly entomology) and always envisaged studying it at uni. However, I'm finding it really hard to get good grades in tests and exams in Biology now- it's lagging behind my Maths and Chem by a long way, even though I spend 4 times as long on it (at least). The problem is that there is a lot of emphasis on using buzzwords, repeating certain phrases in a certain order and general nitpicking in the mark schemes. I feel I understand and know the material really well but I am not great at learning off answers on past mark schemes by rote. A question for current Biology undergrads: are tests/exams at uni going to be the same? Will they be in the same format as A level questions? Will there be a rigid mark scheme which relies on learning 'set text' by heart? If so, it might be better to avoid the heartache and frustration and to take another subject. Thanks!
Scienceisgood
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Perplexed2)
This is a question for current/recent Biological Sciences undergrads who also took Biology A level.

I'm presently in the lower sixth, studying maths, Chem and Biology A levels. I've been fascinated by Biology since I was a kid (particularly entomology) and always envisaged studying it at uni. However, I'm finding it really hard to get good grades in tests and exams in Biology now- it's lagging behind my Maths and Chem by a long way, even though I spend 4 times as long on it (at least). The problem is that there is a lot of emphasis on using buzzwords, repeating certain phrases in a certain order and general nitpicking in the mark schemes. I feel I understand and know the material really well but I am not great at learning off answers on past mark schemes by rote. A question for current Biology undergrads: are tests/exams at uni going to be the same? Will they be in the same format as A level questions? Will there be a rigid mark scheme which relies on learning 'set text' by heart? If so, it might be better to avoid the heartache and frustration and to take another subject. Thanks!
I can kind of answer this as someone who has done a Biomedical Science degree.

With uni, there is no mark scheme for the exam but you HAVE TO go further than what you’re taught in lectures to get top marks.

If you simply regurgitate facts you’ve been taught in lectures, the best you can get is a 2.2 classification. If you want a 2.1 or a First Class degree, you have to teach the lecturers something that wasn’t mentioned, hence why self study in sixth form is so, so important!

For example, here is an exam for a module I did on clinical biochemistry in Biomedical Science.

Name:  05388497-5570-4A90-B13D-B6CC811C84B3.jpg.jpeg
Views: 9
Size:  21.2 KB

Here is one of the situations where, in like maths, 90% of the marks are not for the answer but for ruling things out. So similar to maths, for the working out and only a few marks for the actual answer.

So, in short exams at uni are nothing like A Level with regards to mark schemes as lecturers are experts in their field and as such, don’t need them.
Scienceisgood
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Sorry for the relatively **** quality. Had to zoom out to get the exam question in for the second part!
Scienceisgood
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Here it is in better quality but in two parts…

Name:  EB9F7EAE-04F7-4919-A102-EC4298538CA7.jpg.jpeg
Views: 13
Size:  26.6 KB

Name:  41FAC95C-47D7-4627-B6A4-07D05BD5914B.jpg.jpeg
Views: 14
Size:  16.8 KB

My exams at uni were also 2-3 hours long, depending on the exam itself and they weren’t fun being that long!
Perplexed2
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Scienceisgood)
Here it is in better quality but in two parts…

Name:  EB9F7EAE-04F7-4919-A102-EC4298538CA7.jpg.jpeg
Views: 13
Size:  26.6 KB

Name:  41FAC95C-47D7-4627-B6A4-07D05BD5914B.jpg.jpeg
Views: 14
Size:  16.8 KB

My exams at uni were also 2-3 hours long, depending on the exam itself and they weren’t fun being that long!
thanks so much, Scienceisgood! Will take a look at your posted question now- a picture paints a thousand words!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.25%
As I expected (24)
30%
Harder (30)
37.5%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
6.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise