Help- paralegal job- should i accept the offer?

Watch this thread
neens88+
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi all

I am in desperate need of advice. I have been offered a paralegal role at the CPS but I am not sure whether I should accept due to the announced cuts to the Civil Service. I really need this job but I am scared that I will be made redundant if they chose to cut staff in the CPS. My current job pays very little and this job could help me forge a career in law. Would you accept the offer if you were in my place?
londonmyst
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
Always trust your gut instinct and listen to what your common sense is telling you.
How much is the monthly pay net for your current job and the job that you have been offered?
neens88+
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
Always trust your gut instinct and listen to what your common sense is telling you.
How much is the monthly pay net for your current job and the job that you have been offered?
Thanks for your reply. My current pay is 19.5k and the paralegal role would offer 24.5k. My gut is telling me to take it and that everything is ok, otherwise they would have paused recruitment. But it's a risk and I can't afford to be made redundant words cannot describe how much i despise the current government
Hello34
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
Always
(Original post by neens88+)
Hi all

I am in desperate need of advice. I have been offered a paralegal role at the CPS but I am not sure whether I should accept due to the announced cuts to the Civil Service. I really need this job but I am scared that I will be made redundant if they chose to cut staff in the CPS. My current job pays very little and this job could help me forge a career in law. Would you accept the offer if you were in my place?
Maybe go for it? I don't think they'll offer you a job if they planned on making you redundant straight away. Besides, a couple months as paralegal with CPS will open up so many doors for you.

Having said that, just make a pros and cons list and see what it says
londonmyst
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by neens88+)
Thanks for your reply. My current pay is 19.5k and the paralegal role would offer 24.5k. My gut is telling me to take it and that everything is ok, otherwise they would have paused recruitment. But it's a risk and I can't afford to be made redundant words cannot describe how much i despise the current government
Trust your gut instinct and go for it.
Good luck!
Blayze
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
I'd say take it.

1. I doubt they'd be recruting if they were planning to do job cuts.
2. CPS employees are not civil servants. CPS is independent of the Ministry of Justice (which may have cuts). They do get their funding from the government so they could still be forced to make cuts, but it isn't nearly as clear cut.
3. Even if you're there for a short while, it would be good expereince to help you work towards other jobs. It's also a few months at a higher pay rate which isn't a bad thing.
4. The plans are just plans at this stage - I doubt they'll actually be implemented in any real way for a pretty long time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (5)
38.46%
As I expected (3)
23.08%
Harder (4)
30.77%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
7.69%

Watched Threads