alpineskier
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi, Im looking to apply to uni this year for something (likely PPE), with a future goal of Investment Banking. I will apply to Oxford, but what are the 'next best' options, that are still targets for major banks? (i.e. what can be my insurance)
username5960917
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
Warwick, LSE, UCL, Imperial, Oxford, Cambridge, and one other one that I'm forgetting are target universities for investment banking. The majority of investment bankers come from these universities. That's not to say that you can't break in from other universities (I did), but you should be aiming for these universities if your goal is to work in investment banking.

PPE as a course, however, might or might not be the best flagship at the other universities outside Oxford listed, I don't know. Warwick's pretty good, I don't know how LSE teaches it, York is excellent for PPE (but a low semi-target/non-target) ... But if you don't care about the course quality, then just stick with the above list.
alpineskier
Rep:
(Original post by wiseowlz72)
Warwick, LSE, UCL, Imperial, Oxford, Cambridge, and one other one that I'm forgetting are target universities for investment banking. The majority of investment bankers come from these universities. That's not to say that you can't break in from other universities (I did), but you should be aiming for these universities if your goal is to work in investment banking.

PPE as a course, however, might or might not be the best flagship at the other universities outside Oxford listed, I don't know. Warwick's pretty good, I don't know how LSE teaches it, York is excellent for PPE (but a low semi-target/non-target) ... But if you don't care about the course quality, then just stick with the above list.
thank you very much, not Exeter? surprising!
username5960917
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by alpineskier)
thank you very much, not Exeter? surprising!
Exeter is not a target university, it's a semi-target/low semi-target. Only the universities that I mentioned are 'targets', but again, you can break in from semis, it's not impossible, you just need to put in some extra work.
alpineskier
Rep:
(Original post by wiseowlz72)
Exeter is not a target university, it's a semi-target/low semi-target. Only the universities that I mentioned are 'targets', but again, you can break in from semis, it's not impossible, you just need to put in some extra work.
thank you very much, very helpful
username5960917
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by alpineskier)
thank you very much, very helpful
No problem! Be very mindful though, don't think that just by going to a target you're a shoo-in. I know many people at UCL who haven't been able to secure anything because they've been lazy and not done extracurriculars, have poor interviewing skills, or something else. You need to still be very proactive and join societies and have leadership roles. In that vain, the target/non-target culture is much less prevalent in the UK than it is in the US - wherever you go, you need to put in the work. Just a bit easier coming from a target, but you'll find it not being too dissimilar from semis. For context, I went to a low semi-target (York) and had 5 Assessment Centres/Final rounds, two at BBs, one at a top Japanese bank.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (8)
44.44%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (4)
22.22%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
11.11%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (0)
0%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (0)
0%
I’m starting to consider my university options (3)
16.67%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
5.56%

Watched Threads