Comparing circuits question

Watch this thread
anonymouss2004
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I just want to clear my concepts and double check if my thinking process is right. I understand why variable resistor cannot get to zero since minimum resistance possible is the 8k ohm resistor.
Is it that the potential divider can give 0 current because of short circuit when slider goes to A?
And why can the variable resistor give a larger current? Shouldn't the greatest current given by both circuits be the same? (when variable resistor = 0 ohms and when potential slider is at C)

The question:
The 8.0 k resistor is now connected in a circuit with a 4.0 k variable resistor as
shown in Figure 3.
Compare this arrangement for controlling the current in the 8.0 k resistor with the potential divider arrangement in Figure 2

The answer:
potential divider can provides sensitive control of current (from 0 - 1.1mA) B1
allow pot div can provide zero current and variable resistor gives larger current
variable resistor can provide larger current but cannot get near 0 A

For diagram reference (question 5)
https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com...der%2520QP.pdf
lordaxil
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by anonymouss2004)
Is it that the potential divider can give 0 current because of short circuit when slider goes to A?
Yes.

And why can the variable resistor give a larger current? Shouldn't the greatest current given by both circuits be the same? (when variable resistor = 0 ohms and when potential slider is at C)
That's not quite true - in the circuit with variable resistor, the same current has to pass through both 8 kΩ resistor and the variable resistor, whereas in the potential divider circuit the current is always split to some extent (unless the potential slider has infinite resistance).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (60)
26.91%
As I expected (70)
31.39%
Harder (85)
38.12%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
3.59%

Watched Threads