Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do you think I could self-teach biology GCSE in 4 days? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Could I self teach GCSE biology in 4 days non stop?
    Yes
    50.38%
    No
    49.62%

• CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I wish I'd found science as easy as all you people... We did the double award and I still only managed a C grade - that was with a lot of revision put in, too :cry:

OP - you never know until you try!!

ReputationRep:
    Just so you know, it's for a scholarship exam on Friday/Saturday at Shrewsbury School (letting girls in at 6th form). I didn't realise the exam was more for people who had done full Biology GCSE with seperate Sciences untill I read a past exam paper, and freaked out. I've done modular science, and am now doing additional science.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't think so.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it's all rote-learning knowledge, not real education.

ReputationRep:
    Your predicted grades are good and you've done the double science? I assume thats what you meant by modular, if so then definitely it's not that much more than the double people. I did separate sciences and I think there was a lot of the course in common with the double people, it was more physics that they didn't do I think.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon you could. I've seen standard grade papers that are the same level as gcse biology and I could do them and get at least a 3, and I've done no biology in my life. it's mostly common sense.

ReputationRep:
    Yep. All you need to know are the following 3 stock answer topics:

Larger Surface Area
    Eutrophication
    Enzymes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jizzabelle)
    Do you think I could self-teach biology GCSE in 4 days?
    Yes, but I think you would need very good condensed 'pass-the-exam' notes on it, because some marks are for fiddly definitions etc. But, yeah, with the right preparation you can do it!

ReputationRep:
    yeah, all my GCSE's I pretty much taught myself just before the exams. this is proving impossible with a-levels though, so don't make a habit out of it whatever you do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jizzabelle)
    Hmmm?

EDIT:
    Just so you know, it's for a scholarship exam on Friday/Saturday at Shrewsbury School (letting girls in at 6th form). I didn't realise the exam was more for people who had done full Biology GCSE with seperate Sciences untill I read a past exam paper, and freaked out. I've done modular science, and am now doing additional science.
    You can, but try and get classbook / notes from people who have done it rather than learning fromn te textbook, it will be more concise and you will remember more.

ReputationRep:
    Yes you could. Looking at your predicted grades you are highly motivated and intelligent. :yep: I am sure you can do it. If i was in your situation I would spend 3 days revising the whole book, then the last day doing past papers. Just remember that even if you don't get the A-star you must be thoroughly happy with yourself.

Can i just ask do you intend to do Sciences in A-level?

ReputationRep:
    Learn it easily, so long as you aren't determined to fully uderstand it. However, you may not be able to answer the exam questions, as they will probably require undestanding.

ReputationRep:
    I learnt the vast majority of everything I needed to know for my GCSE exams in the few days just before, so I'm sure you can self-teach biology for a GCSE exam in a few days with several hours a day mind you.

Go for it.

ReputationRep:
    Oh OK, if it's just the stuff you haven't done in double science then maybe. You'd better get started though

ReputationRep:
    Yes, if you put your mind to it. I recommend exam board specific CGP :yep:

ReputationRep:
    If you are clever and went all out then yes, you could probably get a C

ReputationRep:
    Tought myself GCSE Physcis in a week and got A* - that was about 5 hours a day during study leave.

If you get the right revision guides, and you are smart and motivated, you could do it in 4 days, for sure.

Split the course into 3 parts, learn one section on each day, but on the second/third day you need to relearn the previous stuff, and spend the fourth day doing past papers etc.

ReputationRep:
    4 days yeah i reckon you could...i learnt the whole of additional science in 1 week and got 100% in each exam. so yeah its definitely doable.

ReputationRep:
    If you do OCR 21st Century, then yes.

ReputationRep:
    You should be able to. I taught myself each bio/chem/psy module in one night (ie one night each) for the single course, so I'm sure you could learn the seperate course in four days, as it's probably the same amount of work as the bio/chem/psy full course, plus you should already have good knowledge of it from your GCSEs.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.