Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    heyy,

can someone please tell me how microorganisms like E coli and staphylococcus albus are inhibited or distructed?

thank youu

ReputationRep:
    What? Like Penicillin drilling holes in the peptidoglycan cell wall? Or other antibiotics inhibiting cell wall production...

ReputationRep:
    like adding household bleach or soap or mouthwash.. and how that inhibits the growth of them

ReputationRep:
    Well the pH would interfere with biological reactions and bleach may well destroy the bacterial cell walls so the cell itself bursts if the cell is emersed in a wet environment with a high water potential.

ReputationRep:
    doesnt it act as an inhibitor?

ReputationRep:
    pH changes = change in conc of OH- or H+ ions which = change in the tertiary structure of the proteins = change in the shape of the active sites of the enzymes = enzyme-coontrolled metabolic reactions stopped.

I think, I'm not sure, sorry. Haven't done that in ages...

(Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    Well the pH would interfere with biological reactions and bleach may well destroy the bacterial cell walls so the cell itself bursts if the cell is emersed in a wet environment with a high water potential.
    Yes, I believe salts or such may have an osmotic effect on the cells, causes cells to lose water or take in too much depending on where the water potential is greater.

ReputationRep:
    What does it inhibit? I guess the pH of the environment may inhibit the growth of cell walls, but certainly it doesn't act as a physical "inhibitor" i.e. it doesn't attach itself to bacterial enzymes to alter the shape of the active site.

ReputationRep:
    thanks guys!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.