The Student Room Group

Train strike

Just announced there will be a train strike. Tube strike set for 6 June 2022.

You can read about the 6th June train strikes here: https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/press-releases/2022/june/tfl-reminds-people-to-plan-ahead-for-rmt-strike-action-on-monday-and-to-check-journeys-before-travel-over-the-weekend
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

I read about that earlier. Do you reckon that will affect student’s abilities to get to their exams?
It will affect everyone's abilities to do everything, including moving goods, chemical and energy supplies round the country.
I was listening to a bloke who was a train worker on Mike Graham Talk radio phone in and he was dreadful. Graham chewed him up for arse wipe and after saying he was striking for pay and conditions, couldn't even say what conditions it was he was striking to defend. They need to get their act together and tell members only to speak to the media if they are on top of everything, perhaps with a list of bullet points and notes. I felt sorry for him in the end.
Original post by Squiggles1238
I read about that earlier. Do you reckon that will affect student’s abilities to get to their exams?

Plenty of discussion from industry insiders and armchair train drivers alike at https://www.railforums.co.uk
What conditions of work are they changing?
Original post by Kutie Karen
What conditions of work are they changing?

:frown: Not completely sure, not having spoken to rail industry friends as of late. I believe it is the RMT currently rather than ASLEF ( drivers' union) which has concerns.
In many areas of the rail industry pay has been frozen, affecting disproportionly the lower paid workers since 2020: and before the onset of Covid the rail industry received about £4bn in taxpayer subsidy. The government than coughed up around £15bn more since and during the Covid period.
Although passenger numbers are up to around eighty percent of pre -covid levels, what has changed is the travel dynamic, especially in the the lucrative commuter sector due to a change in many people's way of working with greater flexibility and from home.
In addition the government has told Network Rail, which is responsible for track and infrastructure, to reduce costs by ten per cent.
I do know though, one of our local bus drivers obtained a job as a train driver- it is a sought after job with very competitive selection - about a year ago and has never looked back.
Perhaps any rail industry professionals reading this - and I 'm sure there are some - judging by a post about a couple of years ago on TSR from " I'm a train driver-ask me anything " would care to comment.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
Original post by caravaggio2
It will affect everyone's abilities to do everything, including moving goods, chemical and energy supplies round the country.
I was listening to a bloke who was a train worker on Mike Graham Talk radio phone in and he was dreadful. Graham chewed him up for arse wipe and after saying he was striking for pay and conditions, couldn't even say what conditions it was he was striking to defend. They need to get their act together and tell members only to speak to the media if they are on top of everything, perhaps with a list of bullet points and notes. I felt sorry for him in the end.

The same Mike Graham who claimed that concrete grows?

And the whole point of strikes to have an impact. Obviously.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by UnclePete
:frown: Not completely sure, not having spoken to rail industry friends as of late. I believe it is the RMT currently rather than ASLEF ( drivers' union) which has concerns.
In many areas of the rail industry pay has been frozen, affecting disproportionly the lower paid workers since 2020: and before the onset of Covid the rail industry received about £4bn in taxpayer subsidy. The government than coughed up around £15bn more since and during the Covid period.
Although passenger numbers are up to around eighty percent of pre -covid levels, what has changed is the travel dynamic, especially in the the lucrative commuter sector due to a change in many people's way of working with greater flexibility and from home.
In addition the government has told Network Rail, which is responsible for track and infrastructure, to reduce costs by ten per cent.
I do know though, one of our local bus drivers obtained a job as a train driver- it is a sought after job with very competitive selection - about a year ago and has never looked back.
Perhaps any rail industry professionals reading this - and I 'm sure there are some - judging by a post about a couple of years ago on TSR from " I'm a train driver-ask me anything " would care to comment.

so if we don't know about what the conditions they are changing it is difficult to understand. Most people have had a no pay rise and any they wiill get will be well below inflation. Loads have lost there jobs due to covid too. Tough world.
It's partly holding out for pay and partly trying to stop the future (automating)

Ironically half the lefties who will support the strike will also complain about high fares (best way to lower them in the long run is to automate).
Original post by Rakas21
It's partly holding out for pay and partly trying to stop the future (automating)

Ironically half the lefties who will support the strike will also complain about high fares (best way to lower them in the long run is to automate).

So what terms and conditions would actually change?
:frown::frown:
Original post by Kutie Karen
So what terms and conditions would actually change?

:frown: More nationwide strikes are pencilled for 21st June ( this includes a 24 hr. tube strike) 23rd, and 25th June.
It will not just be on these dates the effects will be felt- rolling stock gets out of its regular slot and shift patterns are disrupted so it will have a knock on outside of these days.

And if not aware already, TfL (Transport for London) management because of budgetary restraints and changes in the travel dynamic during and since Covid- bus passenger levels being still not up to pre pandemic levels- are proposing some pretty drastic changes to London bus services, mainly on routes which duplicate and have alternative service provision.
City AM covers this well:
https://www.cityam.com/here-are-the-bus-routes-set-for-change-cancellation-amid-tfl-cuts/
(edited 1 year ago)
Perhaps if the rail companies paid their workers better rather than creaming off the profits for themselves we wouldn't be in this mess.
Original post by DSilva
Perhaps if the rail companies paid their workers better rather than creaming off the profits for themselves we wouldn't be in this mess.

You are aware of how much rail workers are paid right? You get nearly 30k just for being the trolley guy (i.e. glorified roving shop assistant).
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Rakas21
You are aware of how much rail workers are paid right? You get nearly 30k just for being the trolley guy (i.e. glorified roving shop assistant).

Shows that unions work.

You are aware of how much the rail companies earn right?
Original post by DSilva
Shows that unions work.

Yes- I suppose the strike certainly does. :tongue:
Original post by londonmyst
Yes- I suppose the strike certainly does. :tongue:

Indeed!
Added article to OP and hopefully there are no train strikes on Friday 🤞🏾.
I stand with them.
Original post by imlikeahermit
I stand with them.

Starting to feel like Fullofsurprises should relinquish her username to you...
Original post by Captain Haddock
Starting to feel like Fullofsurprises should relinquish her username to you...

Let’s say I have a vested interest. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending