The Student Room Group

Switching A-levels from Computer Science to...?

My current A-levels are Maths, Economics and Computer Science. I am pretty sure on switching from computer science but I'm unsure as to what to switch to. I am certain on doing economics for degree level and was thinking on a good complement to economics A-level. I have seen a few suggestions of government and politics, further maths and psychology, although, I am still unsure as to what to pick. Also this means I would be doing an extra year in college but I was thinking of doing a fast-track course when I just have one A-level remaining to gain an extra A-level.

Anyone think this is a good idea?
Are you in year 13 right now? Would you have to take a gap year to do the extra A-level? I am a bit confused. I would recommend doing FM if your school offers it, as it will give you an advantage over schools that don't. Any of those options you suggested are good though.
U in y12? coz that's also my problem
Reply 3
Original post by Justice24
Are you in year 13 right now? Would you have to take a gap year to do the extra A-level? I am a bit confused. I would recommend doing FM if your school offers it, as it will give you an advantage over schools that don't. Any of those options you suggested are good though.

I am currently in year 12 right now. I would be finishing Maths and Economics next year and then My third a-level the following year. I was thinking with that following year i would take a fast-track course which would allow me to attain 4 a-levels in total.
Reply 4
Original post by Roxibox123
U in y12? coz that's also my problem

Yep I'm in first year in college right now. The computer science course really messed me up cause it was pretty bad due to various factors...
I've never rlly heard of a fast track course but a few of my friends do economics in uni and they did a range of things umm chemistry, maths, further maths, physics, English, cs
Original post by rhysa08
I am currently in year 12 right now. I would be finishing Maths and Economics next year and then My third a-level the following year. I was thinking with that following year i would take a fast-track course which would allow me to attain 4 a-levels in total.

Tricky one. I would not recommend doing 2 A-levels in one year, especially as you would presumably be out of the education system? It would be difficult for you to study and manage your time in this way, but not impossible. I would suggest keeping comp sci and then doing the 4th A-level as a fast track (maybe FM) in an additional year. That way you will have 3 A-levels to rely on completed in 2 years. Instead of 2 crammed into year 14.
Reply 7
I've never rlly heard of a fast track course but a few of my friends do economics in uni and they did a range of things umm chemistry, maths, further maths, physics, English, cs

Yea I've seen some of the requirements for universities for degree level economics and they are pretty generous, most just ask for a C in mathematics so I should be fine for it. I'm just not very confident I would do well if I continued with computer science :/
Reply 8
Tricky one. I would not recommend doing 2 A-levels in one year, especially as you would presumably be out of the education system? It would be difficult for you to study and manage your time in this way, but not impossible. I would suggest keeping comp sci and then doing the 4th A-level as a fast track (maybe FM) in an additional year. That way you will have 3 A-levels to rely on completed in 2 years. Instead of 2 crammed into year 14.

Yea, this is a good point. After viewing the requirements for BSc economics I may just do a fast-track in Business/Sociology just to have those 3 A-levels and not wanting to wither after doing another year of computer science.
What a levels do u want to do?
Original post by rhysa08
Yea, this is a good point. After viewing the requirements for BSc economics I may just do a fast-track in Business/Sociology just to have those 3 A-levels and not wanting to wither after doing another year of computer science.

Yes that is an option. You could do Maths and Econ, formally at college, then a 3rd fast-track A-level alongside that. That is definitely doable and will leave you with 3 A-levels for a UCAS application. Tricky parts are: getting a predicted grade for the fast-track A-level, explaining your situation to the college, managing your time effectively to do the A-level in 1 year. This challenge is not insurmountable!
Reply 11
What a levels do u want to do?

I already do Maths, Economics and Computer Science. I am thinking of dropping computer science for another subject.

Yes that is an option. You could do Maths and Econ, formally at college, then a 3rd fast-track A-level alongside that. That is definitely doable and will leave you with 3 A-levels for a UCAS application. Tricky parts are: getting a predicted grade for the fast-track A-level, explaining your situation to the college, managing your time effectively to do the A-level in 1 year. This challenge is not insurmountable!

Yea, at the end of the day I just want enough to get into uni. While also not hating my time in college because of one a-level.
Yea so what do u want to do?
I've heard that psychology and sociology r rlly hard
Business is fairly easy
Further. Maths is fun
Reply 13
Yea so what do u want to do?
I've heard that psychology and sociology r rlly hard
Business is fairly easy
Further. Maths is fun

Honestly not sure, further maths is definitely an option but i was also considering government and politics since it works better with economics since that is what i want to do at degree level.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest