Should I drop A level physics?

Watch this thread
Dibbo
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I have just got my A level end of year 12 mock results back and I got A* in maths and further maths and an A in chemistry. However, I got 54% in my physics exam which is a B and I want to apply for maths at Oxford as I am capable of getting A* in the other 3 subjects. I have been struggling with physics so I am considering dropping it because it is affecting my time spent on the other subjects as I have to revise for physics more.
Last edited by Dibbo; 1 month ago
Arkcano
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Dibbo)
Hi, I have just got my A level end of year 12 mock results back and I got A* in maths and further maths and an A in chemistry. However, I got 54% in my physics exam which is a B and I want to apply for maths at Oxford as I am capable of getting A* in the other 3 subjects. I have been struggling with physics so I am considering dropping it because it is affecting my time spent on the other subjects as I have to revise for physics more.
Firstly understand your subject requirements that oxford asks of you. Eg for med its bio, chem and any other subject.
After you know what subjects are needed then make a decision. I experienced this last year, when in maths I got 235 on 300 for unseen as level boards and in physics i got 255 on 300. As it was a covid year the highest marks you could achieve was 270 on 300. Which I did in chem and bio. Although i was better in maths, I ended up dropping it, as I had an advantage in marks for physics which will be added up to my year 13, A level results. My recommendation for you is speak to a professional counsellor. If we students give you advice it could end up giving you trouble next year. Our advice is subjective and limited to our own experiences. If you told me to give my opinion I would possibly say do no drop physics maths gets tougher. (But thats because physics is easier for me). However, it may not be as easy for you. Best thing to do is speak to a professional who has seen alot of these scenarios and is more qualified than us. I'm really sorry if this wasn't the advice you were looking for,
NoodleWasTaken
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Dibbo)
Well i dont know if its best to drop it or not, but i can say i thought of dropping physics too.

In my year 12 mocks i got 29% (grade E) and was not happy, however I did realise i want really trying, in the past 2 or 3 months i actually tried and in my latest mocks i got 70-88% on all 3 papers. It is a subject where if you spend time, you will get the hang of it pretty easily.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (51)
26.02%
As I expected (65)
33.16%
Harder (72)
36.73%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
4.08%

Watched Threads