Job references

Watch this thread
Cheese144
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’ve asked my previous employer for a reference as I’ve been offered a new job.

I left my previous employment due to having to care for my grandad, I offered some notice when I left this job (not the full 4 weeks) but they were so angry that I was leaving,I made the decision to not work notice due to their behaviour.

I’m worried I will now get a bad reference, my performance at the job itself was good and I passed probation with no concern and passed all reviews during my role.

Can they give me a bad reference because I left with no notice?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Cheese144)
I’ve asked my previous employer for a reference as I’ve been offered a new job.

I left my previous employment due to having to care for my grandad, I offered some notice when I left this job (not the full 4 weeks) but they were so angry that I was leaving,I made the decision to not work notice due to their behaviour.

I’m worried I will now get a bad reference, my performance at the job itself was good and I passed probation with no concern and passed all reviews during my role.

Can they give me a bad reference because I left with no notice?
They can only tell the truth. The truth includes that you left the job without serving your notice, and it can include any truthful description of the conversations and actions involved in that. What they can't do is paint the whole of your work there in an untruthfully negative light. Leaving without giving notice isn't a good look for employers, so for the receiving employer, reading that, it could be construed as a 'bad reference', but so long it is factually correct, it's legal.
Cheese144
Rep:
(Original post by threeportdrift)
They can only tell the truth. The truth includes that you left the job without serving your notice, and it can include any truthful description of the conversations and actions involved in that. What they can't do is paint the whole of your work there in an untruthfully negative light. Leaving without giving notice isn't a good look for employers, so for the receiving employer, reading that, it could be construed as a 'bad reference', but so long it is factually correct, it's legal.
I’ve provided them as well as 2 other previous employers (who I know will give me good references) - will the 1 reference stating I left with no notice outshine the 2 good references? Not sure if the offer will be withdrawn because of this 1 instance
Cheese144
Rep:
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Not sure if my other reply went through so typing again - I have 2 other references which the employer will get and I know these will be good ones!

Will the 1 reference which says I left with no notice outshine the 2 good references I will get?

Concerned I will have this offer withdrawn just based on this one instance! Although I know my job performance was good at this role
LittleBear04
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Yes, having a negative reference will definitely be a red flag for a employer, would it stop them offering you a position. It depends but for me it’s would not put you in a good position.
Cheese144
Rep:
(Original post by LittleBear04)
Yes, having a negative reference will definitely be a red flag for a employer, would it stop them offering you a position. It depends but for me it’s would not put you in a good position.
It seems my previous employer just sent over a generic reference without mentioning it!
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Cheese144)
It seems my previous employer just sent over a generic reference without mentioning it!
Some employers do that- give generic references. It depends on the company.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (39)
32.23%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (55)
45.45%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (26)
21.49%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.83%

Watched Threads