The Student Room Group

Interview with Year 4

Can anyone help with any ideas for my interview with a Year 4 class. I have been asked to teach any English session for 30 minutes. Their topic this half term has been chocolate so I was thinking about writing a poem based on chocolate. I was thinking of showing a clip from Charlie and The Chocolate factory and getting them to write down and descriptive words as they watch and then write some lines together based on an 'I can see' structure. Coming together at the end to get some to perform the lines they have written.
Can anyone give any feedback? Do you think I need an example poem to also start the session off? Or any other great ideas?...I've hit a wall!
Heya

I’m very helpful when it comes to English lessons of all kinds. You could ask them to prepare a fact file on chocolate. Alternatively you can set them a mini essay on chocolate to write for homework in addition. Other educational teaching activities include a short recount article on a recent class trip in order to see how chocolate is made for common or lay people to consume.

Or you can give them a timed true or fact oral quiz that is based on the swirly topic of chocolate as well. Show them a coloured photo of a chocolate bar and then ask the children to spend several minutes of one or two English lessons working on a newspaper, television or radio advert for it using lots of interesting words to describe it. For your class poems, think all about chocolate. Use the five senses.
Reply 2
Thank you so much for the ideas!!

(Original post by tinyperson)Heya

I’m very helpful when it comes to English lessons of all kinds. You could ask them to prepare a fact file on chocolate. Alternatively you can set them a mini essay on chocolate to write for homework in addition. Other educational teaching activities include a short recount article on a recent class trip in order to see how chocolate is made for common or lay people to consume.

Or you can give them a timed true or fact oral quiz that is based on the swirly topic of chocolate as well. Show them a coloured photo of a chocolate bar and then ask the children to spend several minutes of one or two English lessons working on a newspaper, television or radio advert for it using lots of interesting words to describe it. For your class poems, think all about chocolate. Use the five senses.
Original post by KMoran81
Thank you so much for the ideas!!

(Original post by tinyperson)Heya

No problem. I’ve thought of a few more activity ideas since. You could get them to do a poster on the types of chocolate or make a short but fun Internet video about the topic of chocolate. Describe chocolate bars carefully. Or you can even hand out a spelling quiz related to chocolate as well. During the actual literature lesson you can ask them questions or give them a cool interesting resource pack that is based on chocolate that involves a word search. As part of this activity pack, you can use all manner of resources.

Quick Reply