Maths problem

Watch this thread
S.A.M123
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I need to teach a child how to divide 2 digit numbers by 100 using 10 by 10 blocks.
I need to teach them 14 divided by 100
The word problem they need to solve is I have 14 bars of chocolate and I need to share it with 100 people how would I work this out

Sooo confused someone help please!!
DataVenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
I am also confused.

What are "10 by 10 blocks"? Is this 100 x 1cm^3 blocks, arranged in a 10 block by 10 block layout? Or something else?

Any approach I think of results in having either 1.4 or 0.14 blocks, or in having one block represent some other quantity. And those just seem like flawed approaches.

Why are maths problems so rarely realistic? On what planet would anyone ever genuinely try to divide 14 chocolate bars amongst 100 people?

I'm looking forward to finding out the answer to this one.
S.A.M123
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So we’ve been doing decimals and I asked the children how many hundredths fit into 14 and they were able to work it out that way
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (40)
26.32%
As I expected (49)
32.24%
Harder (56)
36.84%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.61%

Watched Threads