Academic misconduct

Watch this thread
tellysavalas1
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
👋 I’m a 2nd yr student today I’ve received an invitation from uni “in regard to an allegation of academic misconduct”. I’ve submitted an essay 60% plagiarised but almost 40% is simply because I forgot to add quotation marks and used the author name only at the end of the sentence (e.g. (student 2022)). How should I prepare myself for the interview?

Cheers!
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
So 40% of your essay is a direct quote from somebody else?
Prepare a written statement that you can read out, in citing you have made it clear that this work is somebody else's, but really the problem is that if that much of your essay is direct quotations then it just can't be a good essay.
Last edited by Sinnoh; 1 month ago
tellysavalas1
Rep:
That’s why I got a low mark 65%. However this essay represents 20% of the total mark for the module so it’s not a big deal I just want to sort out this issue.
DaBaby1
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by tellysavalas1)
That’s why I got a low mark 65%. However this essay represents 20% of the total mark for the module so it’s not a big deal I just want to sort out this issue.
What course do you do if you don’t mind me asking? 65% is not bad at all for uni tbh. I think the best thing for your meeting is to stay calm, be yourself and tell the truth - that’s all you can really do
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
It could be a big deal, don't underestimate this. In second year, these things get much.more serious.

Be honest and look as though you are sorry. Make no excuses but explain clearly. Cop to it.
tellysavalas1
Rep:
Thanks all. Do you guys thing it’s a good idea to contact the student union for advise? I’m a bit reluctant because they will keep a record of my case.
Rootkit77
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
prepare a statement highlighting the source you use. I'm assuming this is your first time so reassure them it won't happen again. try to minimize direct quote as much as possible going forward and instead paraphrase and cite you sentences. hope this helps and good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (51)
26.02%
As I expected (65)
33.16%
Harder (72)
36.73%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
4.08%

Watched Threads