Prayer and religion

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So, I'm in a bit of a predicament.

See, my parents are religious and I have expressed my lack of religiosity several times - which has landed me in several dangerous situations. I recently bought 'The selfish gene' by Richard Dawkins since it was part of my medicine reading list and I enjoy Richard's debating style. My Dad blew up at me, even though I paid for the book with my own cash that I had earned working a job. They want me to return it immediately, and they keep on asking me to pray. I'm in such a confused state of mind when it comes to what to think of my family, I understand the societal norms of loving your family but I hardly feel a shred of it, they aren't even bad parents. I have been through some pretty bad stuff, I'm almost leaving for University but I'm unsure where to go with all of this and what to tell my parents. If they'll even listen, thanks for understanding yall.
Comrade_Jelly
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So, I'm in a bit of a predicament.

See, my parents are religious and I have expressed my lack of religiosity several times - which has landed me in several dangerous situations. I recently bought 'The selfish gene' by Richard Dawkins since it was part of my medicine reading list and I enjoy Richard's debating style. My Dad blew up at me, even though I paid for the book with my own cash that I had earned working a job. They want me to return it immediately, and they keep on asking me to pray. I'm in such a confused state of mind when it comes to what to think of my family, I understand the societal norms of loving your family but I hardly feel a shred of it, they aren't even bad parents. I have been through some pretty bad stuff, I'm almost leaving for University but I'm unsure where to go with all of this and what to tell my parents. If they'll even listen, thanks for understanding yall.
Its your right to express your religious beliefs as much as they do. Unfortunately some people are ignorant as anything and cant let someone hold a different opinion. Its your choice to follow religion and no-one else's. If your parents cant allow you to choose your own path in life then they aren't good parents, plain and simple. If I were in your shoes I would have a talk with my parents. Be clear and convey your thoughts, try not to get aggressive for any reason. Tell them the truth about how you feel, if they accept you, great! But if not, maybe some time away from your parents wouldn't be the worst thing. The thing that worries me is "I have expressed my lack of religiosity several times - which has landed me in several dangerous situations" and " My Dad blew up at me" I don't know if it was intended that they would use violence, if they do, please for your own safety get out of there as quick as possible, "they aren't even bad parents" sounds like a classic case of rationalization, its very common in abuse victims to be brainwashed into thinking they are in the wrong or something similar.

Of course I'm saying this without knowing your parents, the area you live in and such. so I may be way off in saying a "conversation" is even on the table, but you know your parents more than i do, so take this with a grain of salt. Hope this helps anyways!
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Comrade_Jelly)
Its your right to express your religious beliefs as much as they do. Unfortunately some people are ignorant as anything and cant let someone hold a different opinion. Its your choice to follow religion and no-one else's. If your parents cant allow you to choose your own path in life then they aren't good parents, plain and simple. If I were in your shoes I would have a talk with my parents. Be clear and convey your thoughts, try not to get aggressive for any reason. Tell them the truth about how you feel, if they accept you, great! But if not, maybe some time away from your parents wouldn't be the worst thing. The thing that worries me is "I have expressed my lack of religiosity several times - which has landed me in several dangerous situations" and " My Dad blew up at me" I don't know if it was intended that they would use violence, if they do, please for your own safety get out of there as quick as possible, "they aren't even bad parents" sounds like a classic case of rationalization, its very common in abuse victims to be brainwashed into thinking they are in the wrong or something similar.

Of course I'm saying this without knowing your parents, the area you live in and such. so I may be way off in saying a "conversation" is even on the table, but you know your parents more than i do, so take this with a grain of salt. Hope this helps anyways!
If I'm being honest, every time I try to have a conversation with them about leaving, or not giving all my money to my mother, the conversation kinda turns sour. I'm afraid that I'll end up cursing, or doing something else that'll get me kicked out before I turn 18.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (8)
44.44%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (4)
22.22%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
11.11%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (0)
0%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (0)
0%
I’m starting to consider my university options (3)
16.67%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
5.56%

Watched Threads