I was picked on by a teacher in college and I cant get over it :/

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
ok so background I struggle a lot in college and I have both mental health & learning difficulties. After returning to college after the January-March lockdown in 2021 I was struggling more than ever due to being so far behind, emails I’d sent during lockdown had been ignored and I eventually stopped attending my online classes because nobody was responding to my calls for help/learning support.

I had this one teacher who I actually really liked and respected. And then some issues started. The first one happened when I asked to leave 10 mins early as usual to catch my bus otherwise I’d be waiting about 3-4 hours to go home, in the city, by myself. She had already said my friend could go (we got the same bus) so I asked too. She then shouted at me infront of my entire class about how far behind I was on my work, it was completely humiliating, embarrassing and still upsets me when I think about it.

The second major issue came when she was covering one of my other classes as my usual lecturer was off. Paper register goes round, with my pen (my only pen) which I turned around & asked my friend for it back just before the lesson started, and the teacher told me to stop talking, I said “I’m just getting my pen” AND SHE ACKNOWLEDGED THIS, because I heard her say okay. I then turned around one more time to get my stupid pen, and she shouted at me, again, infront of the whole class, for literally no reason, she hadn’t even started teaching yet. I then got upset and she told me to leave the room. 5 mins later she came and apologised and told me she didn’t hear me say I was getting my pen (she did) and I was so mad and confused because I literally didn’t do anything wrong.

After this happened I actually reported the problems to the deputy head of faculty because it was genuinely affecting my ability to do anything in her lessons because I was scared. Didn’t get very far because of all the “she’s taught here for years” and “she’s a great teacher” - I never said she was a bad teacher I just didn’t get why I was such a problem, because it was always me, everytime.

There was 2 more things that happened which I’d rather not talk about. But I don’t understand why this is still on my mind so much, I get upset whenever I think about it, I’m afraid of going back to any kind of education and I still don’t understand what the problem with me was and it’s constantly grinding away at me I don’t know why I cant get over it.

I cant really complain either since it was a year ago and I cant prove any of the issues I had with this teacher or other issues I had at college surrounding learning support.

I don’t know, I just hate that I’m still struggling from these things that happened in college? Sucks :/
Mystical_psychic
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
wow that sucks on another level. i was shaking my head throughout reading that because jeeeez people are so cruel sometimes aren't they? i have learnt to realise that people enjoy picking on those whom they see as vulnerable, which is sad. and it's because they feel a sense of control and superiority over those who are vulnerable. You mentioned your difficulties, and i'd assume the teacher who you are acknowledging had taken advantage of this, which is absolutely unacceptable and should never happen! I'm so sorry that has happened to you, truley.
Best thing you can do is strengthen your mind so that people can't see you as weak anymore. Show your worth to yourself and remind them that these incidents will not be your set backs. because they wont.
Do NOT let this horrible experience ruin your future education!!! You deserve to learn more and be in a better environment, not everyone is that horrible though sometimes it does seem that way
Whenever you think about those situations, try not to let the feelings of fear come to you first, but rather use it as a fuel and motivation to better yourself and make a point- that your difficulties will not break you down and neither will that stupid teacher.
Another thing, people often misuse their status as that teacher clearly did, knowing they had a good reputation. Other people may find it hard to believe that you were treated in that way by them, but screw them and why should their thoughts and opinions matter? You're stronger than them as you're pushing through this
You've got this! Turn this experience into something great xxx
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Mystical_psychic)
wow that sucks on another level. i was shaking my head throughout reading that because jeeeez people are so cruel sometimes aren't they? i have learnt to realise that people enjoy picking on those whom they see as vulnerable, which is sad. and it's because they feel a sense of control and superiority over those who are vulnerable. You mentioned your difficulties, and i'd assume the teacher who you are acknowledging had taken advantage of this, which is absolutely unacceptable and should never happen! I'm so sorry that has happened to you, truley.
Best thing you can do is strengthen your mind so that people can't see you as weak anymore. Show your worth to yourself and remind them that these incidents will not be your set backs. because they wont.
Do NOT let this horrible experience ruin your future education!!! You deserve to learn more and be in a better environment, not everyone is that horrible though sometimes it does seem that way
Whenever you think about those situations, try not to let the feelings of fear come to you first, but rather use it as a fuel and motivation to better yourself and make a point- that your difficulties will not break you down and neither will that stupid teacher.
Another thing, people often misuse their status as that teacher clearly did, knowing they had a good reputation. Other people may find it hard to believe that you were treated in that way by them, but screw them and why should their thoughts and opinions matter? You're stronger than them as you're pushing through this
You've got this! Turn this experience into something great xxx
thank you so much for this it was really comforting to read. i think im still struggling with it because i feel like i cant be vulnerable anymore which sucks because i used to be such an open person, now i just get upset whenever i try and talk ab my mental health.
gonna try and talk to my therapist im currently seeing and see if that helps. makes me sad that this has probably happened to other ppl in similar situations as me, no one should get humiliated by a teacher who’s supposed to be in a position of trust.
Mystical_psychic
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
thank you so much for this it was really comforting to read. i think im still struggling with it because i feel like i cant be vulnerable anymore which sucks because i used to be such an open person, now i just get upset whenever i try and talk ab my mental health.
gonna try and talk to my therapist im currently seeing and see if that helps. makes me sad that this has probably happened to other ppl in similar situations as me, no one should get humiliated by a teacher who’s supposed to be in a position of trust.
I'm glad i could be of help And honestly same, i find it very hard to be vulnerable and have major trust issues and can't talk about my mental health either. Often i use free platforms like samitarians and random anonymous chats i can find online as i don't feel like i have anyone to disclose too irl which is sad so i totally understand. I just try keep myself occupied and i always get over in on my own but it sucks that i know i;m always looping.
I'm glad you've got a therapist to talk to though, i hope they can help you out. xox
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (39)
26.71%
As I expected (47)
32.19%
Harder (53)
36.3%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.79%

Watched Threads