charleyhowells
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I am a 2nd year biomedical science student. I am looking into prospects for when I graduate. I know this is thinking very far into the future but does anyone know how one becomes a consultant biomedical scientist (band 9) im curious haha. Thank you
knksj112
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm in my final year of biomed. I never really looked at becoming a biomedical scientist so I might not be much help. Based on my very limited knowledge I believe you should take a placement year in between your 2nd and 3rd year and if your course is accredited you're on track for approval by the IBMS? If not I believe you can top up your modules to suit the accreditation criteria. Jobs in the NHS are competitive and you'd have to work your way up. Not sure if this helps, I'm sure someone else could advise you more.
Uni of Southampton Students
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by charleyhowells)
I am a 2nd year biomedical science student. I am looking into prospects for when I graduate. I know this is thinking very far into the future but does anyone know how one becomes a consultant biomedical scientist (band 9) im curious haha. Thank you
Hi charleyhowells

Have you looked into the NHS Clinical Training Program? This may be one way to work your way up https://nshcs.hee.nhs.uk/programmes/stp/

L
auren
Official University of Southampton Rep
charleyhowells
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
No this is helpful thank you! My placement is coterminous so my placement year acts as my final year but I do have to do some modules to make up my credits. I'm going to have a look at the jobs on the NHS I think just get a feel for what they require
(Original post by knksj112)
I'm in my final year of biomed. I never really looked at becoming a biomedical scientist so I might not be much help. Based on my very limited knowledge I believe you should take a placement year in between your 2nd and 3rd year and if your course is accredited you're on track for approval by the IBMS? If not I believe you can top up your modules to suit the accreditation criteria. Jobs in the NHS are competitive and you'd have to work your way up. Not sure if this helps, I'm sure someone else could advise you more.
charleyhowells
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I haven't actually! I've never actually heard of it so that's really helpful. Thank you!
(Original post by Uni of Southampton Students)
Hi charleyhowells

Have you looked into the NHS Clinical Training Program? This may be one way to work your way up https://nshcs.hee.nhs.uk/programmes/stp/

L
auren
Official University of Southampton Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (13)
35.14%
As I expected (8)
21.62%
Harder (15)
40.54%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
2.7%

Watched Threads