The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Is the University of Aberdeen well regarded?

Hi everyone!

I'm not particularly looking for prestige, and I know of its history as one of the 'ancients' but how is the University looked at across the country? Is it comparable to the UK's Russell Group universities or some of them?

I will be doing my MSc in Finance and Investment there as it offers a CFA pass alongside the degree that a lot of other schools don't offer. I am an international student.
It doesn't usually rank very highly
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Original post by black tea
It doesn't usually rank very highly

Hi!

I've seen in these forums and from league tables it's usually in the 20s - 30s. Are schools in that range not seen as well-regarded?
At the moment it is ranked 20th overall by Guardian and Times and Sunday Times.
It's a fairly respected school. Hard to disrespect a 500-year-old University at the end of the day. I've made and seen a few meta lists that consistently rank Aberdeen within the Top 20-25 in the UK for the past 10 years or so based on international rankings. It's an ancient Scottish uni so if anything it underperforms but is firmly in the top 200 global.

(https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7216612)

As for comparative rep to RGs err it does well enough against the middle-band to lower-end of those schools.
Other non-rg schools that firmly rank in the World's top 200 are:
St. Andrews
Aberdeen itself
UEA
Sussex
Lancaster

The school does struggle to draw in applicants from what I can only suspect to be their relatively isolated location, but it does attract a lot of internationals. It also draws in alot of high-caliber applicants from locals from how the Scottish education system work.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone!

I'm not particularly looking for prestige, and I know of its history as one of the 'ancients' but how is the University looked at across the country? Is it comparable to the UK's Russell Group universities or some of them?

I will be doing my MSc in Finance and Investment there as it offers a CFA pass alongside the degree that a lot of other schools don't offer. I am an international student.

Aberdeen actually beats many Russell Group Unis in many league tables. RG is simply used for postgrad research intensity so (from experience) you’ll get inferior teaching at RG unis because lecturers are more focussed on research not teaching

Aberdeen was Scottish University of the year 2019 and has been ranked by multiple rankings in the top 20 in the UK. It is a very well regarded uni and has been since 1495 and continues to invest in its’ students making it top 5 in UK for student satisfaction

For you, finance and accountancy (among MANY other courses) it is ranked in the top 10 in UK and the excellent uni careers service is why it is one of top in UK for graduate employment
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi,
I am planning to do Msc Management & Finance in Aberdeen. Can you please tell if it's worth it?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,
I am planning to do Msc Management & Finance in Aberdeen. Can you please tell if it's worth it?

I think that's for you to decide, no one can decide that for you
Reply 7
It was ranking in top 5 in Geography/Environmental Science last year, on the back of a large investment in a new teaching facility.
Meh it’s okay, most people don’t go there because the location sucks, and if you’re unhappy where you are geographically then your degree suffers because of it.

Quick Reply

Latest