Can I take my friend to small claims court because she is refusing to pay me back?

Watch this thread
Lord Rojo
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Basically! Me and two friends booked a holiday to Cyprus a while back.

I had given my one friend the money for the hotel (S) and another friend the money for the flights (C). They both also have each other money for the hotel and flights as well.

Everything was booked.

Then recently our flights were cancelled and we had to book new ones. S booked her own flights and me and C were going to book together. I wanted to go with the new flights the airline were offering but C didn’t want to and cancelled these and said we would get a full refund and she would give me that money back.

One thing led to another and me and C couldn’t agree on what flights to book. So I booked my own flights and C was going to hook flights with some other people. (We’re going for a wedding and there’s like 10 people going)

C then decided she couldn’t fly with them and could only fly with me and expected me to cancel my currently flights.

I couldn’t do this as I’d lose the money for these flights.

C then said she’s not going and she is blaming me for not being able to go.

She has now said she is not paying me back my money for the cancelled flights or paying S back. Well I asked her for it back but she said “haha **** off” and then blocked me.

Overall she owns about £500.

She then said that because she is losing out of money for the hotel she booked with us (it’s not refundable) that she is keeping this £500 to cover what she has lost.

Is this correct or fair? She has chosen not to go so she should lose that money she has paid for the hotel and that has nothing to do with the cost of the cancelled flights.

I have messages where she has said she will pay me back the money as well.

Can we take her to court over this? I know it seems petty but I need this money as it’s come from my student loan.
Grizwuld
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Oh yes it's small claims (court) stuff.
However it will take time and effort and unfortunately getting a judgement doesn't necessarily mean getting paid - you may have enforce the judgement; more time effort and money (court costs).

You have, hopefully, learned a valuable life lesson about handling money and also got rid of someone who is unworthy of the title "friend" - perhaps you would be better off cutting your losses and your now ex-friend?
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lord Rojo)
Can we take her to court over this? I know it seems petty but I need this money as it’s come from my student loan.
Yes, it will cost £50 plus a hearing fee if they contest.

I wouldnt worry about it seeming petty... I've sat in on a court case where part of the claim involved the return of a T-shirt!
Last edited by Reue; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (51)
26.15%
As I expected (64)
32.82%
Harder (72)
36.92%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
4.1%

Watched Threads