How to figure out the 'strength' of the alumni network?

Watch this thread
riar51
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm sorting out my list of preference rankings for UCAS applications soon - undergraduate business management

Almost everyone says that the 'alumni network' should be a big consideration. How exactly am I supposed to figure out which unis have a good alumni network and which don't?

They all advertise that they have a good one but I can't seem to find much other sources of decent info on this

any advice? appreciate it!
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
Who has told you that alumni network of something so important? It seems to be a big deal in the US - not really here.
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
What a bizzare way to choose a Uni - who told you this, someone in their 80s?
The Old Boys Network is thankfully long dead.

Read this - How to Avoid 5 Rejections - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...ity-rejections and go to some Uni Open Days and start living in the real world.
riar51
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
so how should an international student go to uni open days?
(Original post by McGinger)
What a bizzare way to choose a Uni - who told you this, someone in their 80s?
The Old Boys Network is thankfully long dead.

Read this - How to Avoid 5 Rejections - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...ity-rejections and go to some Uni Open Days and start living in the real world.
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by riar51)
Virtual Open Days and Campus Tours.

Many Uni will be holding these for those who cant come in-person - look on each Uni website or email their Admissions office. And many have Campus Tour films / online virtual experiences - example from Bath https://www.bath.ac.uk/topics/underg...al-experience/
Last edited by McGinger; 4 weeks ago
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by riar51)
If your planning coming to the UK and spending 3 years here surely a week or so to visit open days shouldnt be a problem. If your foolish enough to want to look at alumni before things that really matter like location or course content then quite honestly people would be better letting you to your own devises not trying to help. How does a university having say good sportsmen tell you whether the course is right for you or whether you are likely to settle and be happy where you are studying.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (8)
44.44%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (4)
22.22%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
11.11%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (0)
0%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (0)
0%
I’m starting to consider my university options (3)
16.67%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
5.56%

Watched Threads