SHM question help pls asap

Watch this thread
Htx_x346
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
How did they go from there to there in one step? How did they know not to use the cos function if that makes sense?Name:  1D2FD6A8-CB51-4F79-A819-9F3A11334660.jpeg
Views: 9
Size:  84.1 KB
Last edited by Htx_x346; 4 weeks ago
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
The cos() and sin() curves are related by a shift of pi/2, so if you set alpha appropriately, theyre the same, so either is fine.
Last edited by mqb2766; 4 weeks ago
Htx_x346
Rep:
(Original post by mqb2766)
The cos() and sin() curves are related by a shift of pi/2, so if you set alpha appropriately, theyre the same, so either is fine.
Okay so i wont loose mark if i did Rsin(wt)?
Last edited by Htx_x346; 4 weeks ago
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Htx_x346)
Okay so i wont loose mark if i did Rsin(wt)?
It would depend on the initial conditions. The shift of alpha means you can vary location of the sinusoidal solution, independent of whether you write
Rcos(wt+alpha)
or
Rsin(wt+alpha)
If you said the solution was Rsin(wt) then that would assume the displacement at time 0 was 0, so the "point" would be passing through the equilibrium position with a positive velocity.
Htx_x346
Rep:
It would depend on the initial conditions. The shift of alpha means you can vary location of the sinusoidal solution, independent of whether you write
Rcos(wt+alpha)
or
Rsin(wt+alpha)
If you said the solution was Rsin(wt) then that would assume the displacement at time 0 was 0, so the "point" would be passing through the equilibrium position with a positive velocity.
Wdum by the intial conditions?
In an exam how would i know whether to re-write it as a function of sin or a function of cos?
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Wdum by the intial conditions?
In an exam how would i know whether to re-write it as a function of sin or a function of cos?
You can write either
Rcos(wt+alpha)
Rsin(wt+alpha)
Theyre equivalent (subject to alpha being set appropriately).

The original solution was
Acos(wt) + Bsin(wt)
Here you have two constants A and B which are determined by the value of the displacement and velocity at time 0 (usually). You have a second order differential equation, you need two initial conditions (x(0)=..., x'(0)=...) to get a particular solution where the values of A and B are determined. The above representations are equivalent, but the two constants to determine are R and alpha.

This must be covered in your textbook in this section?
Htx_x346
Rep:
You can write either
Rcos(wt+alpha)
Rsin(wt+alpha)
Theyre equivalent (subject to alpha being set appropriately).

The original solution was
Acos(wt) + Bsin(wt)
Here you have two constants A and B which are determined by the value of the displacement and velocity at time 0 (usually). You have a second order differential equation, you need two initial conditions (x(0)=..., x'(0)=...) to get a particular solution where the values of A and B are determined. The above representations are equivalent, but the two constants to determine are R and alpha.

This must be covered in your textbook in this section?
I dont think its covered in my textbook
Yeah i just came across another example and here they use cos instead!
So how do i know whether to use cos or sin, sorry im still slightly confused.
Htx_x346
Rep:
Name:  06F8EA93-8FD1-4951-81AD-4ABD5F12CC91.jpeg
Views: 4
Size:  84.9 KB
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
I dont think its covered in my textbook
Yeah i just came across another example and here they use cos instead!
So how do i know whether to use cos or sin, sorry im still slightly confused.
I can guarantee that just about all of this will be covered in your textbook.

Third time, theyre equivalent, you can use either. However
Rcos(wt+alpha)
is probably more common as the intiial coditions are usually that initially the velocity is 0 and the particle has a maximum displacement. This is what a basic cos() curve represents.
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
How did they go from there to there in one step? How did they know not to use the cos function if that makes sense?Name:  1D2FD6A8-CB51-4F79-A819-9F3A11334660.jpeg
Views: 9
Size:  84.1 KB
As per the previous posts, the representations are equivalent. Its just the harmonic identities
https://www.examsolutions.net/tutori...ic-identities/
or whatever your textbook calls them.
Htx_x346
Rep:
I can guarantee that just about all of this will be covered in your textbook.

Third time, theyre equivalent, you can use either. However
Rcos(wt+alpha)
is probably more common as the intiial coditions are usually that initially the velocity is 0 and the particle has a maximum displacement. This is what a basic cos() curve represents.
okay thanks, sorry was just making sure because i have an exam today.
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
okay thanks, sorry was just making sure because i have an exam today.
Good luck, but if youre unsure about these worked examples it may be worth working through a similar question independently to make sure you do actually understand this.
Last edited by mqb2766; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (18)
31.03%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.93%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.45%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.17%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.9%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
12.07%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.72%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.72%

Watched Threads