Electricity question help

Watch this thread
maxcovel39
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Could someone help me calculate and explain how the voltage across each lamp is calculated??? I'm so confuseddd. i attached a link below.

https://imgur.com/a/8slXq2y
Attached files
Arkcano
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
Okay so since the lamps are in parallel their resistance is calculated as 1/R1 + 1/R2
then you take the reciprocal of that value. eg you got the answer 1/12 + 1/12 = 1/6 you flip it and you get 6. So 6 ohms is the resistance. The fixed resistor is in series with the lamps so you need to realize that voltage will be split in a series circuit. the ratio is 12 ohms (resistor) : 6 ohms ( both lamps in parallel)

so both lamps will get 6/(6+12) * 15 volts = 5 volts
therefore each lamp gets 5/2 = 2.5 volts

Please let me know if this is correct
Last edited by Arkcano; 4 weeks ago
JinTech
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Arkcano)
Okay so since the lamps are in parallel their resistance is calculated as 1/R1 + 1/R2
then you take the reciprocal of that value. eg you got the answer 1/12 + 1/12 = 1/6 you flip it and you get 6. So 6 ohms is the resistance. The fixed resistor is in series with the lamps so you need to realize that voltage will be split in a series circuit. the ratio is 12 ohms (resistor) : 6 ohms ( both lamps in parallel)

so both lamps will get 6/(6+12) * 15 volts = 5 volts
therefore each lamp gets 5/2 = 2.5 volts

Please let me know if this is correct
I thought both lamps would have 5 volts each since the voltage across components in parallel are the same
Ethanity007
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
The two lamps in // have a effective resistance = 6 ohms
Using potential divider principle,
the pd across the lamp = 6 / (6 + 12) x 15 = 5 V
Arkcano
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by JinTech)
I thought both lamps would have 5 volts each since the voltage across components in parallel are the same
Sorry sorry my bad its 5 volts I accidentally divided by 2. Its been 3 years since I did this topic.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (13)
29.55%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (17)
38.64%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
4.55%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (2)
4.55%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (3)
6.82%
I’m starting to consider my university options (6)
13.64%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
2.27%

Watched Threads