how do you repel slugs

Watch this thread
boulderingislife
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Anyone know how to repel slugs, NOT kill them? I probably should have found a gardening forum for this but that's long - sure someone on TSR knows!
Bookworm524
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Attract hedgehogs, add salt... Ooops that would kill them
Bookworm524
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Plant some plants https://www.capitalgardens.co.uk/blo...7-plants-hate/
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I recall reading somewhere that they don't like coffee grounds and if you add them to the soil where you are planting they will avoid it.

Note though this may also affect the pH of the soil which could affect what you are growing...
boulderingislife
Rep:
i bought two pots of basil from morrisons, and the little buggers ate them all.
the bear
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
taunt them. deliberately use the wrong pronouns.
artful_lounger
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by boulderingislife)
To be honest I find basil grows better inside anyway - it's very sensitive to getting the leaves wet (so rain ruins it pretty quickly), but wants a lot of watering anyway (so being forgotten on a patio or something for a few days also makes them unhappy!). For me they do best just put in a sunny window with regular watering!
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 month ago
Callicious
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by the bear)
taunt them. deliberately use the wrong pronouns.
Your mother smelt on elderberry
LittleSkink
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I use organic slug pellets and feel bad about it, but mostly I grow slug sensitive stiff in pots that are easier to protect. I think Nematodes are a solution but pricey way to go

FWIW caffeine (in a lot of coffee grounds) is produced by plants as a defence mechanism, it is known to interfere with plant growth - though some are more sensitive than others
Reality Check
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Anyone know how to repel slugs, NOT kill them? I probably should have found a gardening forum for this but that's long - sure someone on TSR knows!
They don't really get 'repelled' by stuff very well. If things are in pots, then sharp grit laid in a perimeter about the base of the pot can dissuade them, as can putting copper bands around the pots. Crushed eggshells are said to work as well as grit. In the end, I tend to use pellets to kill them because they're hardly an endangered species and they can devastate your crops in pretty short order if you don't deal with them.
the bear
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Callicious)
your dad went with caterpillars
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
There is no single solution and you really need a battery of approaches to give young plants a chance. Every gardening website will have ideas but a lot of them are not really proven in any meaningful sense.

The easiest method with a small number of plants is to keep them in pots and move them inside overnight.
the bear
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
tell them that they are underdeveloped and that an aphid could whup their ass
boulderingislife
Rep:
(Original post by artful_lounger)
To be honest I find basil grows better inside anyway - it's very sensitive to getting the leaves wet (so rain ruins it pretty quickly), but wants a lot of watering anyway (so being forgotten on a patio or something for a few days also makes them unhappy!). For me they do best just put in a sunny window with regular watering!
last summer my basil did really well in the garden. All of them grew a lot! like tripled in size. Then the mother killed them all for winter! Didn't even allow me time to move them into a pot for indoor planting! :eek:
boulderingislife
Rep:
(Original post by Reality Check)
They don't really get 'repelled' by stuff very well. If things are in pots, then sharp grit laid in a perimeter about the base of the pot can dissuade them, as can putting copper bands around the pots. Crushed eggshells are said to work as well as grit. In the end, I tend to use pellets to kill them because they're hardly an endangered species and they can devastate your crops in pretty short order if you don't deal with them.
it's not that they're endangered or not. As a vegan I cannot and will not kill any living animal. Just goes against my beliefs. So repellent is the way to go for me tbh. I read lavender is a natural repellent. Might try that. That or just stick to pots for stuff I want to survive in the garden.
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Callicious)
Get it right ...
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Kind of you to feed them like that. Ive heard they like lettuce as well so ...

Little you can do to deter them unfortunately.
hungrysalamander
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Put them in shells and invite a French person to your garden.
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
it's not that they're endangered or not. As a vegan I cannot and will not kill any living animal. Just goes against my beliefs. So repellent is the way to go for me tbh. I read lavender is a natural repellent. Might try that. That or just stick to pots for stuff I want to survive in the garden.
Slugs like living in pots (sides/base) its damp and dark.
Callicious
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mqb2766)
Get it right ...
I did it wrong because they made a joke related to doing it wrong :rofl:

God I love this scene. The accents... it taught me all about taunting the French :rofl:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (39)
32.23%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (55)
45.45%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (26)
21.49%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.83%

Watched Threads