The Student Room Group

I'm exercising and losing weight but I keep getting thicker 😫

This has been an ongoing challenge for me for a while. I keep a regular gym workout just for good health and general wellbeing. I have always had a more curvaceous look as opposed to an athletic look.

My workouts at the gym mean I continue to get a pear shape, with more pronounced hips, large butt and a narrow waist. I don't think that shape suits me as I'm short. I think it works well on taller people.

I want to continue going to the gym and want machines that will make me feel the workout, but not become thick. The machines I use at the moment are the crosstrainer and the Bowflex max stepper.
maybe running/jogging on a treadmill might be your best pick as it will target fat loss and increase stamina? I've learnt that if you are going for weight loss, you should use the treadmill AFTER your workout as you will loose more :smile: Everyone has different body types so please do not ruin your esteem by thinking yours 'doesn't suit you', own it!! It's yours and you can do with it what you like.
You can't change your body type, but you can increase muscle and accentuate the areas you like by targeting them more so make that your goal. Find a way to be confident in your body.
Maybe do lean legs workout do give you the illusion of being taller? Use lighter weights with increases reps to avoid bulking too if that's something you don't want.
Hope this helps!
Reply 2
Original post by Mystical_psychic
maybe running/jogging on a treadmill might be your best pick as it will target fat loss and increase stamina? I've learnt that if you are going for weight loss, you should use the treadmill AFTER your workout as you will loose more :smile: Everyone has different body types so please do not ruin your esteem by thinking yours 'doesn't suit you', own it!! It's yours and you can do with it what you like.
You can't change your body type, but you can increase muscle and accentuate the areas you like by targeting them more so make that your goal. Find a way to be confident in your body.
Maybe do lean legs workout do give you the illusion of being taller? Use lighter weights with increases reps to avoid bulking too if that's something you don't want.
Hope this helps!

Thank you. I’ll look at the tips you have recommended.
Are you visibly gaining muscle on your arms or legs? :confused:
Have you gained any amount of weight on the scales over the last 2-5 months?
Reply 4
Original post by londonmyst
Are you visibly gaining muscle on your arms or legs? :confused:
Have you gained any amount of weight on the scales over the last 2-5 months?

I’ve lost 4kg on the scales, but I have gained weight on my thighs and butt.

Not gained too much on arms.

Also lost 5% fat.
(edited 1 year ago)
If you've lost weight, there's little chance you've gotten much thicker anywhere else. more likely you're just more defined and maybe have put a small amount of muscle on
I find that the treadmill works best for me. if you have the setting with the running routines on them, choose one that works best for you. And remember to keep it at your own pace.
Reply 7
Original post by Angry cucumber
If you've lost weight, there's little chance you've gotten much thicker anywhere else. more likely you're just more defined and maybe have put a small amount of muscle on

You may be right. I should have also mentioned that I’ve lost 5% fat.

Quick Reply