The Student Room Group

Perfecring my sources technique

I am currently doing A2 History, and in AS i got a C (almost a B). My two non- source based exams were both B's, but my one source based exam was a D. I am retaking this one in January, and feel a bit more confident about it, but still not enough to get an A, or maybe a B that I desperately need. Also, unit 6 is a source based exam, and is worth 20% of the whole A level (actually, so is unit1, the one im retaking). In terms of knowledge and how I write etc. I am fine in history, but its just how to perfect the use of sources. Any tips that are crucial that you could give me. Btw, I don't mean things like: practice lots of papers etc.,because I will do that, I mean actual techniques when handling sources etc. in the exam room. Thanks.
Reply 1
This is for the surce base:
Structure your answer themematically, not source by source as you have shown. So (i don't do your topic) if the question asks why did reforms fail bewteen 1786-1788? reasons could be Louis incomeptence and the fact he was weak when under pressure, but another reason maybe that it was the uncooperative manner of the Paris parlement. You always test the sources with your own knowledge. So far example: 'Source A shows/argues that it was Louis incomepetence that led to the failure of financial reforms, which is also shown in source C which states that " Insert quotation". We know that this is true because in 1786 when the reforms were drawn up by Necker which was aimed at removing the privileges of the nobility, there were too many vested interests in the paris parlement who were hostile towards his proposed reforms, which led to his sacking in 1877. However the sources were drawn up by both the clergy and the nobility, so a bias may be given in that they were trying to protect their own interest.

Always, Always Cross reference, between sources you can really get high grades when you do this. Always look at the Dates and the provenance, you will really do well if you can do this.

Also I'd suggest looking at examiners reports, they are really useful. Also just make sure you are analysing and evaluating all the time.

Good luck!!! :smile:
Reply 2
Thanks, very helpful, Im sure I will get there in the end :smile:

Latest