all girls or mixed first year uni flat/ accom

Watch this thread
lucuuuyydyuh
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So I've been trying to choose between an all girl or mixed first year uni flat (Leeds), and I wondered if anyone could help?

My original instinct was that I probably want to live in a flat with just other girls, as I'm very social and so will hopefully meet lots of boys anyway (I'm also really girly and hate mess so thought girls might be the best option!) However, most people I've asked said they're going to choose mixed and I'm starting to doubt my decision. Is anyone else similar to me/ has any advice? I just feel like living in a flat with just girls would be easier and probably better suited to me but I'm not sure now!
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
hm well i wish you luck while i still sit here on the market meaning im up for grabs for anyone who wants me
but im american
Uni of Southampton Students
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by lucuuuyydyuh)
So I've been trying to choose between an all girl or mixed first year uni flat (Leeds), and I wondered if anyone could help?

My original instinct was that I probably want to live in a flat with just other girls, as I'm very social and so will hopefully meet lots of boys anyway (I'm also really girly and hate mess so thought girls might be the best option!) However, most people I've asked said they're going to choose mixed and I'm starting to doubt my decision. Is anyone else similar to me/ has any advice? I just feel like living in a flat with just girls would be easier and probably better suited to me but I'm not sure now!
Hi there,

I actually lived in an all girls flat for my first year, so I can definitely help with explaining my experience. I would say if you are someone who feels you get on well with girls and are looking to make close female friendships, then this is a great way to do so as you will definitely get a chance to spend lots of time together and create close bonds.
However, in terms of the mess our flat still got extremely dirty even with all being girls so I would probably take this into consideration, as I think at the end of the day it is down more to specific people and whether you can get everyone on the same page with cleaning. I know some of my friends have also found that choosing a mixed flat can allow you to meet a more mixed range of individuals which can be really good if you are a social person and like doing different things with different people.
My student accommodation happened to be a very girl-heavy one anyway so a lot of people did end up in all girls flats, but if I had the opportunity now I think I probably would chose to have lived with boys as well, just for the reason of getting to meet a wider variety of people. However, I think this is a very personal choice and so you just need to pick what you are most comfortable with as you need to make sure you feel happy with where you are living for the year.
What subject are you going to study?
Anna (Fashion Design Student)
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by lucuuuyydyuh)

Hi there!

My name is El and in my first year, I lived with a mix of boys and girls and loved it- I thought I would be with the girls more but I actually ended up being with the boys the most as they were funnier (may have just been the people I was with though!)

That being said, I have to say I found both the girls and boys equally as messy and it usually ended with me cleaning for everyone as mess stresses me out a lot. So no matter what gender your roommates are, you're probably experience a messy person. Uni brings out the worse of everyone, cause even I had days where I was lazy.

No matter what you choose, you will probably have a mix in your apartment, such as: one flat is mixed, another is all girls and the other is all boys. This helps a lot as you may find yourself more at someone else's apartment because it's funner! So no matter what you choose you'll have the experience of all options.

I don't think it really matters as everyone has their own experience and you can never expect who you'll end up with as everyone's different! You may have super nerdy girls, messy girls and LGBTQ+ people.

No matter what, enjoy uni and follow whoever you like most.

El
ChichesterStuRep
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi there,

Hopefully I can help as I've lived in both mixed and all female accommodation whilst I studied.

In my first I lived in a mixed flat in halls and found that it went well. I could social easily with everyone and I got to meet a wider variety of people as we all had more diverse interests. Typically the halls were a little messy but I think everyone experiences this when living with others for the first time.

In my second year I moved in to a house which was all girls. Although we could have those girly nights, I did find that the house was a bit more argumentative and dirty. Getting ready for a night out was a communal effort so the entirety of the house would then become a bomb site as we made drinks and did our make-up. We also felt more comfortable to leave our laundry to dry in our dining room so the house as a whole felt more untidy.

In our third year the house became mixed again and the atmosphere changed for the better. The house was cleaner as we wouldn't leave laundry and make-up around and everyone just seemed more calm.

So I'd definitely say I personally preferred living in mixed accommodation, but it's different for everyone.

I hope this helps
Megan
University of Chichester Alumni
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (19)
32.2%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.29%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.39%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.08%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.78%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
11.86%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.69%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.69%

Watched Threads