The Student Room Group

What is the likelihood of getting a 2:1 or first?

So I see a lot of questions of here saying that "in second year I got X as my average, can I still get a first/2:1" but is the same applicable to third year? As in if you averaged a first in your second year, how likely would it be to get a 2:2 overall?
Original post by Anonymous
So I see a lot of questions of here saying that "in second year I got X as my average, can I still get a first/2:1" but is the same applicable to third year? As in if you averaged a first in your second year, how likely would it be to get a 2:2 overall?

When people ask "in second year I got X as my average, can I still get a first/2:1", they are asking about 3rd year.

It depends how much your second year contributes towards your grade classification. If you get a first in second year, it is still possible to get a first overall at the end of third year - so of course you would still be able to get a 2.2 in your final year . People don't ask "how likely" because that is just down to the individual. It's more "what is the lowest grade I need to get to reach a first?"

If you achieved a 2.2 in second year, it makes it much harder to achieve that first in final year because of course you would need to get higher marks in general in final year
If you averaged a first in your second year, it's quite hard to get a 2:2 - unless you do miserably bad.
Original post by Anonymous

Hi!

As the reply above already mentions, the particulars of it comes down to how much your overall grade of second year contributes to your final grade. So, if you get a first overall in second year, that might really help set you on your way to getting a first. Other universities might have second year contribute less, however, meaning it might mostly come down to your third year grades.

But speaking from my own experience at University of Chichester, I always worked as hard as I could with a first as my ambition. Through my effort, my grades progressed from about mid 2.1 in first year, to around a mid/high 2.1/first in second year, and then my third year getting high 2.1's/ mid firsts. So, from that I'd also say with university what you put in to it is what you get out of it, meaning: if you put the work in and remain organised, getting lots of feedback from your lecturers and acting on that, then there's no reason why you can't get a first!

I hope this is useful and insightful for you! If you'd like anymore information I'd be happy to help :smile:

Tom,
University of Chichester Student Rep and Alumni.
Original post by gtty123
If you averaged a first in your second year, it's quite hard to get a 2:2 - unless you do miserably bad.

Yeah this is what I was thinking, thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest