The Student Room Group

architecture work experience

Hi, I am hoping to study architecture at uni and am currently in year 11, doing my GCSEs, and I was hoping to get some work experience this summer but I had some questions and it would be really useful to hear back from anyone with experience or insight.

Firstly, I am relatively new to work experience and actually putting myself out there, so I don't really know the best way to reach out to firms, or even where to reach out at all, or what skills I actually need to have ( eg. CAD, SketchUp knowledge etc. ). Are having these technical skills important, as I don't have the technology and software to learn, other than yt tutorials.

Secondly, would I be too young for something like that, as I know many people in my year are getting work experience/shadowing placements for a week or so in the summer, but would starting to accumulating things like that at my age even be something valuable for uni applications for archi?

Lastly, I was wondering whether there was anything else that I could be doing to add to qualifications etc. that would be useful for future applications. Next year I'm doing physics, maths, art and econ + epq and I have my hopes set on ucl/Cambridge but I really don't know what I can be doing to further my skills atm.

Any other tips or info would be greatly appreciated!
Original post by nur_ts
Hi, I am hoping to study architecture at uni and am currently in year 11, doing my GCSEs, and I was hoping to get some work experience this summer but I had some questions and it would be really useful to hear back from anyone with experience or insight.

Firstly, I am relatively new to work experience and actually putting myself out there, so I don't really know the best way to reach out to firms, or even where to reach out at all, or what skills I actually need to have ( eg. CAD, SketchUp knowledge etc. ). Are having these technical skills important, as I don't have the technology and software to learn, other than yt tutorials.

Secondly, would I be too young for something like that, as I know many people in my year are getting work experience/shadowing placements for a week or so in the summer, but would starting to accumulating things like that at my age even be something valuable for uni applications for archi?

Lastly, I was wondering whether there was anything else that I could be doing to add to qualifications etc. that would be useful for future applications. Next year I'm doing physics, maths, art and econ + epq and I have my hopes set on ucl/Cambridge but I really don't know what I can be doing to further my skills atm.

Hi there.

Work experience in this area isn't essential so please don't worry. You could perhaps look at some online courses and check Springpod for virtual work experience opportunities alongside doing EPQ.

Doing 4 A levels also has little/no advantage so doing 3 A levels alongside EPQ would be more than enough work. @normaw thanks for pointing this out and advising OP as I didn't realise! :smile:

Hope this helps. :smile:
Best wishes.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by nur_ts

My son managed to get a week's work experience (pre Covid) at a local architecture firm at the end of year 12. It was good in that it confirmed his decision to study architecture and he was given access to CAD to complete a task they set him. You don't need software knowledge before you apply - you will be taught during your degree. If you look on the Cambridge website, there is a suggested reading list for architecture applicants. That might be better prep than work experience at this stage.

Also, why four A levels and an EPQ? You only need three A levels for university. Better to take just the three subjects you enjoy the most and will do well in than stretch yourself too thin. Your extra time will be needed for Oxbridge applications, personal statements and portfolio prep.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending