Reference for Ucas

Watch this thread
EBM04
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I left school with poor grades and I know am capable of better so I've decided to home study 3 A levels with the ambition to go onto further education at university (ideally a Russel group uni). However because I am home studying and in some sense teaching myself I am concerned about what I am going to do in regards to my reference when I do apply to university. Any advice would be hugely appreciated.
TriplexA
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by EBM04)
I left school with poor grades and I know am capable of better so I've decided to home study 3 A levels with the ambition to go onto further education at university (ideally a Russel group uni). However because I am home studying and in some sense teaching myself I am concerned about what I am going to do in regards to my reference when I do apply to university. Any advice would be hugely appreciated.
Hi there.

Could you ask a tutor to provide you a reference? If you don't have a tutor PinkMobilePhone or Admit-One could help with this query.

Best wishes.

Spoiler:
Show
Admit-One on the ball as always!
Last edited by TriplexA; 4 weeks ago
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Usually your school would still have a reference on file for you.
University of Salford
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi!

I would definitely recommend checking in with some of the Universities you are looking at applying to and seeing if they can consider a character reference from a previous employer - I know we do here at Salford Uni, so it might be that others can too! You can usually find contact details on different universities websites, or should be able to message directly on here!

Hope that helps - let me know if you have any general queries, as we're more than happy to advise.
All the best,
Becky
University of Salford Rep
EBM04
Rep:
(Original post by Admit-One)
Usually your school would still have a reference on file for you.
I did think of this and it does seem like the most feasible solution however my 3 senior years at the school were a bit of a rollercoaster. When I did my nat 5s(gsce equivalent) I got straight As. And in year 12 equivalent I got 4 As however the final year I basically bailed and did really bad and got all fails. The grades I would really be applying to university with would be my A levels completed after school. Would having a reference from school despite my school grades not being the ones getting me into university put me at a disadvantage?
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Tutors, teachers from your previous school, facilitators of hobbies (do you do anything like D of E?), or anybody of good standing in the community who knows you well that can provide you with a character reference are the usual ports of call for home educated students.
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by EBM04)
I did think of this and it does seem like the most feasible solution however my 3 senior years at the school were a bit of a rollercoaster. When I did my nat 5s(gsce equivalent) I got straight As. And in year 12 equivalent I got 4 As however the final year I basically bailed and did really bad and got all fails. The grades I would really be applying to university with would be my A levels completed after school. Would having a reference from school despite my school grades not being the ones getting me into university put me at a disadvantage?
Not really, it just needs to be broadly positive. They can't sugar coat your grades but they can provide more context to your academics than a professional ref.

A few of the replies have recommended a character or professional reference, to be honest, most unis will only accept them if you have been out of education for 4+ years. They will primarily want an academic reference unless it is not feasible.
EBM04
Rep:
Not really, it just needs to be broadly positive. They can't sugar coat your grades but they can provide more context to your academics than a professional ref.

A few of the replies have recommended a character or professional reference, to be honest, most unis will only accept them if you have been out of education for 4+ years. They will primarily want an academic reference unless it is not feasible.
That makes sense. My first 2 senior years there were really positive and I am content that if I went back to certain teachers or my head of house I would get a very positive reference. I was even vice school captain at this school. I did just flunk my grades at the end of the year. I'm just a little nervous that it will all seem confusing and not very synchronised will good grades first two years, debate team, vice school captain but then flunked grades final year but then (hopefully) all A's at A levels
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by EBM04)
That makes sense. My first 2 senior years there were really positive and I am content that if I went back to certain teachers or my head of house I would get a very positive reference. I was even vice school captain at this school. I did just flunk my grades at the end of the year. I'm just a little nervous that it will all seem confusing and not very synchronised will good grades first two years, debate team, vice school captain but then flunked grades final year but then (hopefully) all A's at A levels
If you can talk to your ref, then you could give them a bit of insight into your underperformance and they might be willing to add a bit to the reference about being satisfied that you have addressed those issues and are well motivated with your private study and aims for higher education. They can spin it positively if you can give them some comfort that you know what went wrong.
Last edited by Admit-One; 4 weeks ago
EBM04
Rep:
If you can talk to your ref, then you could give them a bit of insight into your underperformance and they might be willing to add a bit to the reference about being satisfied that you have addressed those issues and are well motivated with your private study and aims for higher education. They can spin it positively if you can give them some comfort that you know what went wrong.
That's a great idea. Thanks for the support and feedback on my questions, hugely appreciated. Wish you all the best
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (15)
29.41%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (21)
41.18%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.92%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (2)
3.92%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
7.84%
I’m starting to consider my university options (6)
11.76%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.96%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed