Could I have drowned that day?? Any opinions really appreciated!

Watch this thread
icecream1000
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Sorry this is a really random question but I was just curious. A few years ago I went on a cheap private boat cruise thing with a friend and a driver we found in Agadir (Morocco) which lies on the Atlantic ocean coast. I have always wanted to jump off a boat and swim in the sea from a boat and have a few photos taken but had not done proper research into it and assumed the boat driver would know better than me.

So he drove us around, for quite a while, at a very fast speed at times which we did enjoy, and then, when we where really quite far out from the beach (i don’t even think i could see the beach from where we where but n my vision isn’t the best, but we where definitely far out), he said did I want to get off now to have a swim, I said sure. My friend decided not to as she was pregnant at the time. So as we where in the middle of the ocean the ship was not docked but he stopped the motor i think so i thought it would be still (very ignorant of me, I should have looked into this) so I got into the water. Now I am really quite a strong swimmer, and just the other day i went on a snorkelling excursion off the coast of majorca and had no issues swimming in the sea here and found it very easy to float and get back in the ship (which was docked i believe).

Anyway as soon as i got into the water in the ocean i noticed how freezing it was even though it was a warm day. Then I noticed floating felt really weird. Like very difficult but I managed to stay afloat long enough for some photos. Then I wanted to get back in the boat but it kept drifting away everytime i swam near to it, due to the wind or a current or something. The driver and my friend where panicking at
this point as I was struggling then to stay afloat so they threw me a life jacket. I then held onto the jacket but it didn’t help that much but somehow they managed to get the boat nearby enough to me for me to struggle back before it drifted off again.

I just wanted to know I guess, if this was foolish of me and if the reason for my struggle was currents in the (atlantic) ocean? Is it possible i could have drowned that day? Or was it due to my own swimming weakness? Which i don’t feel is the case as because as mentioned i swim a fair amount and can do laps in the pool without too much trouble, as well as the other day having no issues off the boat in the mediterranean. Any opinions would be appreciated! I’m just curious, Thank you!
Last edited by icecream1000; 4 weeks ago
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
the sea is a cruel mistress.
icecream1000
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by the bear)
yes, it sure is! But I was swimming in the atlantic ocean that day, would that have been more dangerous? We where so far out we couldn’t see the coastline anymore
Callicious
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by the bear)
Wet, salty, and will toss you around like nobody's business if in a stormy mood. Just like my ex wife.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Callicious)
Wet, salty, and will toss you around like nobody's business if in a stormy mood. Just like my ex wife.
:rofl: :afraid:
londonmyst
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes, you could have drowned in the ocean that day.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (26)
27.96%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (31)
33.33%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (9)
9.68%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
3.23%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (5)
5.38%
I’m starting to consider my university options (13)
13.98%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (4)
4.3%
I’m not planning on going to university (2)
2.15%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed