Is it too late to apply for medicine during year 13?

Watch this thread
speedkiller456
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi,
thanks for taking the time to read this, I wondered if it was too late to apply for medicine during or perhaps at the end of year 13 and still aim to get into a medical school the same year.
My predicted grades for year 12 are poor (BCB) and I can never really expect any medical uni to consider me. But I believe that during year 13 I can get better grades however, would it be worth the effort or should I look at other options.
thanks,
(apologies for my awful grammar)
Last edited by speedkiller456; 4 weeks ago
hungrysalamander
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by speedkiller456)
Hi,
thanks for taking the time to read this, I wondered if it was too late to apply for medicine during or perhaps at the end of year 13 and still aim to get into a medical school the same year.
My predicted grades for year 12 are poor (BCB) and I can never really expect any medical uni to consider me. But I believe that during year 13 I can get better grades however, would it be worth the effort or should I look at other options.
thanks,
You'll have to take a gap year to apply.
speedkiller456
Rep:
(Original post by hungrysalamander)
You'll have to take a gap year to apply.
Oh, this may sound silly but what can I do during this gap year?
hungrysalamander
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Get work experience/volunteer, get a job, travel, interview practice, start a new hobby etc
englishhopeful98
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi,
thanks,
Maybe consider Gateway for six years
bea_murray0
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi,
thanks,
Are you currently in year 12? You can apply at the start of year 13 before Oct 15th (having done UCAT over summer) but with those predicted grades you would need to apply to med schools that don't look at predicted grades, there are a few but you're limited. The other option is achieving AAA (ideally) at the end of year 13 and applying in October after finishing school with your achieved grades.
Last edited by bea_murray0; 4 weeks ago
speedkiller456
Rep:
(Original post by bea_murray0)
Are you currently in year 12? You can apply in September of year 13 (having done UCAT over summer) but with those predicted grades you would need to apply to med schools that don't look at predicted grades, there are a few but you're limited. The other option is achieving AAA (ideally) at the end of year 13 and applying in September after finishing school with your achieved grades.
Am in year 12
speedkiller456
Rep:
Am in year 12
I think the second option you talked about is the best one for me, but i'm sure I would have to take a gap year if I don't apply at the start of year 13 with predicted?
speedkiller456
Rep:
(Original post by englishhopeful98)
Maybe consider Gateway for six years
Can you explain that?
bea_murray0
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Am in year 12
Ok, if you wanted to apply in year 13 you could but it would have to be very strategic. If you have contextual/WP flags or if you could get your preicteds to at least AAB you may have more options, off the top of my head med schools that don't look at predicted grades are BSMS, Keele + Sunderland, Oxford, I think HYMS? Best to check as things may change for 2023 entry, and bear in mind you will still need to achieve the conditions of your offer (most likely AAA)
englishhopeful98
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Can you explain that?
If you have lower grades you could do an extra year
bea_murray0
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
I think the second option you talked about is the best one for me, but i'm sure I would have to take a gap year if I don't apply at the start of year 13 with predicted?
Yes, so you would start in 2024. If you have the time and resources there's nothing to say you can't apply both years (as long as you're aware of reapplication policies to med schools you're interested in), but if admissions tests and interviews will distract you too much from A levels and jeopardise your AAA grades, it's not worth it.
bea_murray0
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by englishhopeful98)
If you have lower grades you could do an extra year
Do you mean a foundation year? These are only for those with WP criteria, not sure if OP meets them or not but just FYI
hannychica
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
October 15th is the application deadline for medicine every year, for entry in the year of that cycle. So taking a gap year is your only option if you don’t apply before that date in year 13.
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Get a job in a Care Home, a Special School, or a Hospital - any job.
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
You could aslo think about doing any of these roles in the Navy for a few years - with that sort of experience and training you would then be practically guaranteed to get into Med School - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers...anches/medical
poweredstar
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi,
thanks,
If you are doing medicine I would highly suggest that you check to make sure your GCSE grades meet the entry requirements before worrying about alevels (as certain unis have set grades you need in GCSEs too e.g. UoB for medicine needs english, maths and science at grade 6 or above). As i know that medicine is very competitive at the moment and I have had friends get rejected from all 5 of the unis they have applied for even though they are straight A's; if you really want to do medicine but your grades are not where they need to be then either work really hard y13 or look to do a degree in something related to medicine then convert to medicine once you finish the degree.
bea_murray0
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by poweredstar)
If you are doing medicine I would highly suggest that you check to make sure your GCSE grades meet the entry requirements before worrying about alevels (as certain unis have set grades you need in GCSEs too e.g. UoB for medicine needs english, maths and science at grade 6 or above). As i know that medicine is very competitive at the moment and I have had friends get rejected from all 5 of the unis they have applied for even though they are straight A's; if you really want to do medicine but your grades are not where they need to be then either work really hard y13 or look to do a degree in something related to medicine then convert to medicine once you finish the degree.
Hi, I know you mean well but FYI (and OP's too) doing another degree with the aim of applying to medicine as a graduate isn't a very good idea, mainly because it's much more competitive. It's relatively much easier to enter medicine as a school leaver (even after a gap year, or two or three if needs be!). And about your friends, that's sad to hear but unfortunately for medicine grades often don't come into the application process much beyond minimum requirements (such as a 6 in English + maths, as you mentioned, as well as usually AAA at A level) so even straight As don't necessarily mean much! It mainly comes down to performance in admissions tests and at interview. But yes OP definitely needs to check they meet GCSE minimum requirements.
speedkiller456
Rep:
(Original post by bea_murray0)
Hi, I know you mean well but FYI (and OP's too) doing another degree with the aim of applying to medicine as a graduate isn't a very good idea, mainly because it's much more competitive. It's relatively much easier to enter medicine as a school leaver (even after a gap year, or two or three if needs be!). And about your friends, that's sad to hear but unfortunately for medicine grades often don't come into the application process much beyond minimum requirements (such as a 6 in English + maths, as you mentioned, as well as usually AAA at A level) so even straight As don't necessarily mean much! It mainly comes down to performance in admissions tests and at interview. But yes OP definitely needs to check they meet GCSE minimum requirements.
Well, luckily all my GCSE's were 7 or above apart from maths which i got a 6 and History which I got a 4 in. As well as 1 BTEC and 1 less GCSE due to doing combined science instead of triple
Last edited by speedkiller456; 4 weeks ago
bea_murray0
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Well, luckily all my GCSE's were 7 or above apart from maths which i got a 6 and History which I got a 4 in. As well as 1 BTEC and 1 less GCSE due to doing combined science instead of triple
You shouldn't be massively limited by that I don't think, just avoid the GCSE-heavy med schools, but it's worth putting in the time to research uni websites thoroughly because you'd kick yourself for a pre-interview rejection due to not meeting minimum requirements!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (26)
27.08%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (31)
32.29%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (10)
10.42%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (4)
4.17%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (5)
5.21%
I’m starting to consider my university options (14)
14.58%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (4)
4.17%
I’m not planning on going to university (2)
2.08%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed