What Should I Do? Applications & Grades & References

Watch this thread
joejoeeames
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Right here's the situation.

I took my A-Levels Last year and got:
D1/A** in Geography, A in Biology, C in chemistry & A* in EPQ
I'm retaking my Chemistry exam this year to up my grade but couldn't get a prediction as I'm taking it as an external candidate.
My GCSEs are: 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9 & 6

So here's the rub: I applied to some universities last year not even super high tier just the ones I want to go to and got rejected from them all.

I am going to have to reapply this year and take a SECOND gap year

I think my UCAS references are a bit rubbish.

And i really dont know what to do now.

I asked universities about this and they siad my double gap year would make my application less competative.

WTF should I do about this...?!?!?!?!
GatitoMeow123
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
Your grades sound like they were really good so I don't think that you were rejected from university for your grades. However, your Chemistry grade was slightly lower than what universities would expect but because I don't know what you are planning to study at university, I don't know if this would impact you. So yes it sounds like it could have been your references that impacted you getting into university. Did you attend sixth form or college or do your exams as a private candidate? Was your attendance good at school? Taking a gap year is a good idea although I understand that it can feel very frustrating and disheartening. Do not give up just yet. You maybe need to try and choose a different course because it might be that you are being rejected because the course is not compatible with your grades.
joejoeeames
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by GatitoMeow123)
Your grades sound like they were really good so I don't think that you were rejected from university for your grades. However, your Chemistry grade was slightly lower than what universities would expect but because I don't know what you are planning to study at university, I don't know if this would impact you. So yes it sounds like it could have been your references that impacted you getting into university. Did you attend sixth form or college or do your exams as a private candidate? Was your attendance good at school? Taking a gap year is a good idea although I understand that it can feel very frustrating and disheartening. Do not give up just yet. You maybe need to try and choose a different course because it might be that you are being rejected because the course is not compatible with your grades.
I attended a college. My attendance was excellent. I have already had my first year but this is now the second one and I really feel like I'm wasting time you know.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (13)
26%
As I expected (14)
28%
Harder (20)
40%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
6%

Watched Threads