I was proud of myself for being good at something but should I not be?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Ive always had relitavely good upper body strength as a female always been able to do full pull ups no problem even without training and press-ups etc. People tend to be impressed when I can climb full length of a rope with just my hands/no feet etc. So naturally I see this as my ‘strength’ as I’m no good at anything else in life lol.

Ive no social skills, I’m a slow thinker, I’m not attractive can’t think of anything I’m decent at

HoweverIm only very short in height (people say I’m ‘tiny’) (tbh I’ve seen smaller women but just stating what others say)

Whenever I take part in training etc and my friend says that I did well my family (and some other people) always put it down a bit and say something like ‘tbh there’s not much of her to pull up is there’ or ‘there’s nothing to her I’m not surprised’

It sort of makes me feel that it’s not a strength/‘talent’ after a and it’s just due to my build. The thing is if you look at athletes you could say that high jumpers only get over because they are tall and thin or that weightlifters are only good because they are short and stocky with short arm levers. Or tall basketball players..

I guess what I’m asking is if you were me would you be less proud of this (if it was the only thing you really good at) because it’s just due to your build
londonmyst
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
It is fine for you to be happy about your ability and prioritorise your commitment to maintaining/increasing your upper body strength.
Don't let anyone in your household shatter your positive mentality or make you give up your favourite hobbies/exercise workouts.
Nor make you feel inferior or under attack because of your height.

Remember that life is too short to waste your valuable time on those who don't deserve any of your time or energy.
Don't give the time of day to those that try to humiliate you before an audience or have a long history of adding nothing/very little but negativity to your life.
I'm also a female of below average height.
I don't have any ability for rope climbing or enthusiasm for workouts to increase upper body strength.
Good luck!
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
A lot of people don't have that kind of upper body strength even if they're short. I wouldn't be less proud of it because of what other people say. Climbing a rope with only your hands is impressive no matter what height you are. Also, you're training and working at something you're good at, which is itself something to feel good about. If your friend says you did well and your family puts you down, maybe they're jealous.
micholate9
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
That sounds very impressive! I can't do pull ups even after regular strength training for weeks. I'm terrible at any exercise!

I think people just like explaining it away so they have an excuse for themselves not being able to do all those things. Don't worry about them. Be proud of your ability
Wannabevetnurse
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Ive always had relitavely good upper body strength as a female always been able to do full pull ups no problem even without training and press-ups etc. People tend to be impressed when I can climb full length of a rope with just my hands/no feet etc. So naturally I see this as my ‘strength’ as I’m no good at anything else in life lol.

Ive no social skills, I’m a slow thinker, I’m not attractive can’t think of anything I’m decent at

HoweverIm only very short in height (people say I’m ‘tiny’) (tbh I’ve seen smaller women but just stating what others say)

Whenever I take part in training etc and my friend says that I did well my family (and some other people) always put it down a bit and say something like ‘tbh there’s not much of her to pull up is there’ or ‘there’s nothing to her I’m not surprised’

It sort of makes me feel that it’s not a strength/‘talent’ after a and it’s just due to my build. The thing is if you look at athletes you could say that high jumpers only get over because they are tall and thin or that weightlifters are only good because they are short and stocky with short arm levers. Or tall basketball players..

I guess what I’m asking is if you were me would you be less proud of this (if it was the only thing you really good at) because it’s just due to your build
be proud of what you can do. People who say something to discourage are often jealous. I can't even do a pull up, and I'm a 96kg sack of potatoes.

But honestly, be proud of yourself and happy with who you are
ate_lophobia
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I think you answered your own question there. "high jumpers only get over because they are tall and thin or that weightlifters are only good because they are short and stocky with short arm levers. Or tall basketball players.." A talent is not born, it's something you have to cultivate. What you have is a skill, which if you want, you can use it to your advantage. Yes it is "just" due to your build, but you HAVE a skill regardless. If people around you, whether that's your family or friends (if it's friends get rid of them pls) belittle your skill by highlighting your negatives, that says a lot about them. You do you, and keep going because when you move towards your goals, you attract the right people and you learn who's opinions to shut down. Avoid sharing your motives with anyone because everyone has opinions and it will hinder your progress. Do what makes you happy YOU GOT THIS!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (1)
50%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (1)
50%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (0)
0%

Watched Threads