Just to be clear grade 9 english lit

Watch this thread
weriCRYS
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
okay so lets say you do ALL the questions on paper 1 for english lit . you add at least a quote, context and reason why, but havent been able to add in much more you were capable of. if you do AMAZING on paper 2, could you get a 9 despite how kind of low standard paper 1 was?
DataVenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by weriCRYS)
okay so lets say you do ALL the questions on paper 1 for english lit . you add at least a quote, context and reason why, but havent been able to add in much more you were capable of. if you do AMAZING on paper 2, could you get a 9 despite how kind of low standard paper 1 was?
Anything's possible - especially as no-one knows where the grade boundaries will be this year.

I don't know which exam board you're using, but in 2019 the Eduqas grade 9 boundary was 75% (down from 80% in each of the previous two years). So if you'd only managed 50% in Paper 1 you'd need 100% in Paper 2 to get a 75% overall. (I'm assuming the two papers will be 50:50 in terms of weighting; normally for Eduqas they're 40:60, but they dropped 1/3 of Paper 2 so my guess is they'll be 50:50 this year. Obviously you may well have a different exam board anyway.)

BTW, why were you not "able to add in much more you were capable of"?
weriCRYS
Rep:
(Original post by DataVenia)
Anything's possible - especially as no-one knows where the grade boundaries will be this year.

I don't know which exam board you're using, but in 2019 the Eduqas grade 9 boundary was 75% (down from 80% in each of the previous two years). So if you'd only managed 50% in Paper 1 you'd need 100% in Paper 2 to get a 75% overall. (I'm assuming the two papers will be 50:50 in terms of weighting; normally for Eduqas they're 40:60, but they dropped 1/3 of Paper 2 so my guess is they'll be 50:50 this year. Obviously you may well have a different exam board anyway.)

BTW, why were you not "able to add in much more you were capable of"?
because of the timing, i had so many ideas for the theme question till i didnt even add in any characters to match them. i did at least add a quote and context but couldnt really analyse it deeply.
not sure if that'll loose me marks.
if i managed to not go away from the topic then i wouldve been capable.

my exam board is AQA.
DataVenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
because of the timing, i had so many ideas for the theme question till i didnt even add in any characters to match them. i did at least add a quote and context but couldnt really analyse it deeply.
not sure if that'll loose me marks.
if i managed to not go away from the topic then i wouldve been capable.

my exam board is AQA.
Understood. AQA have an odd 60:70 weighting between Paper 1 and Paper 2 this year, which helps you slightly (as more than half the marks are still to come). However, back in 2019 you'd have needed 88% to get a 9. :eek: Hopefully that boundary is a little lower this year.
madzzzzina
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi,
When you say 'add a quote, context and reason why', do you mean this per paragraph? And how detailed are the paragraphs, how many did you write and were your explanations detailed enough?

Although to a certain extent, quantity is important, quality of your essay is crucial. If you wrote pages but with little analysis, absence of references and weak explanations, you probably will be marked down. If you're confident that the amount you have written is insightful and critical, I doubt you will get a lower mark. The examiner doesn't know you, they are not aware of how much as a student you are capable of. They mark based on your answer and not your abilities hence your paper isn't marked by your own teacher but rather by teachers/examiners across the country to eradicate any bias.

To answer your question, that depends on the grade boundaries. The grade boundaries are put together based on how students did on the paper. If students haven't done decently, obviously the grade boundaries will be lower but if as a whole, everyone does well, the boundaries will be higher. In regards to grade boundaries, the other person has more info on that. Personally, I found the paper reasonable enough although I know I could have done a lot better if I had more time. I think they should be generous this year due to exams not being sat for 2 years and the disruptions caused, but then again, they addressed those issues with the advance info so I'm not sure if they'll consider the pandemic when they're making the grade boundaries.

My advice is, before starting an essay, at least spend 2-5 minutes planning. Just a rough plan, get the ideas onto the paper, for example, what theme will you talk about, will you include a character, any quotes you could include etc.

Remember, you've sat the paper and you can't do anything about that paper. The past is the past and you can't change it, so please concentrate on the upcoming exams and put even more effort into Paper 2 than you did in Paper 1.
Good luck, I hope you do well in your other exams!
weriCRYS
Rep:
(Original post by madzzzzina)
Hi,
When you say 'add a quote, context and reason why', do you mean this per paragraph? And how detailed are the paragraphs, how many did you write and were your explanations detailed enough?

Although to a certain extent, quantity is important, quality of your essay is crucial. If you wrote pages but with little analysis, absence of references and weak explanations, you probably will be marked down. If you're confident that the amount you have written is insightful and critical, I doubt you will get a lower mark. The examiner doesn't know you, they are not aware of how much as a student you are capable of. They mark based on your answer and not your abilities hence your paper isn't marked by your own teacher but rather by teachers/examiners across the country to eradicate any bias.

To answer your question, that depends on the grade boundaries. The grade boundaries are put together based on how students did on the paper. If students haven't done decently, obviously the grade boundaries will be lower but if as a whole, everyone does well, the boundaries will be higher. In regards to grade boundaries, the other person has more info on that. Personally, I found the paper reasonable enough although I know I could have done a lot better if I had more time. I think they should be generous this year due to exams not being sat for 2 years and the disruptions caused, but then again, they addressed those issues with the advance info so I'm not sure if they'll consider the pandemic when they're making the grade boundaries.

My advice is, before starting an essay, at least spend 2-5 minutes planning. Just a rough plan, get the ideas onto the paper, for example, what theme will you talk about, will you include a character, any quotes you could include etc.

Remember, you've sat the paper and you can't do anything about that paper. The past is the past and you can't change it, so please concentrate on the upcoming exams and put even more effort into Paper 2 than you did in Paper 1.
Good luck, I hope you do well in your other exams!

thanks for the reply and good luck to yo too!

my paragraphs as a whole are just ideas of the characters as a whole and context backing it.
1 has more analysis but the analysis is the idea behind the novel and context. 1 is just ideas of the novel as a whole.
madzzzzina
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
thanks for the reply and good luck to yo too!

my paragraphs as a whole are just ideas of the characters as a whole and context backing it.
1 has more analysis but the analysis is the idea behind the novel and context. 1 is just ideas of the novel as a whole.
You're welcome and thank you!
Sometimes, essays can be a little unbalanced, in the sense that one paragraph might be stronger compared to another. Coming from Mr Everything English (who I would deffo recommend alongside with Mr Salles on YT), AO1 and AO2 each account for 40% of your mark and AO3 is about 20%.

To summarise:
AO1 - Your point, references from the text
AO2 - Language techniques, effects on reader
AO3 - Context (what was it like during the time it was written, background info from the text)

I take that you included a lot of context? Which is good as it shows you understand why the text/novel was written and what factors influenced the writer's views. I do not want to freak or stress you out more, but in your next paper, make sure you focus on what the question is asking. For instance, if the question was on Sheila and how she is relative to the other characters in An Inspector Calls, you would focus on Sheila first, then compare her to at least 1 character and then discuss a theme such as the old vs young generation and how Sheila is a mouthpiece for the revolutionary young generation. I am not sure if you do AIC but this is an example. Whatever exam you have next (literature), make sure each paragraph has at least 2 quotes, thoughtful analysis on each quote and then link it to a theme influenced by the contemporary society.

Please don't stress about this paper now too much, it will distract you from the other papers. There are many channels which are really good for English so try watching some videos.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (39)
32.23%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (55)
45.45%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (26)
21.49%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.83%

Watched Threads