Partial fractions division question

Watch this thread
e1eanor
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi I realise (x^2 -1) is difference of two squares but I couldn’t get an answer doing the division or by multiplying by (x^2 -1)
Attached files
Purple43Monkey
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Think about what the denominators will be. You're right about the difference of two squares, so what would they be when expanded?

This might help some more:

Spoiler:
Show
Name:  maths.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  33.4 KB

Let me know if this clears things up!
e1eanor
Rep:
Spoiler:
Show

Thanks, I would have done that if it wasn’t for the x^2 + B part. Should I multiply by through the factorised brackets and compare coefficients?
Purple43Monkey
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by e1eanor)
Spoiler:
Show

Thanks, I would have done that if it wasn’t for the x^2 + B part. Should I multiply by through the factorised brackets and compare coefficients?
Yep! That should get you to the right answer
e1eanor
Rep:
(Original post by Purple43Monkey)
Yep! That should get you to the right answer
x^4 +2 = (x+1)(x-1)x^2 + B(x+1)(x-1) + C(x+1)(x-1)?
e1eanor
Rep:
x^4 +2 = (x+1)(x-1)x^2 + B(x+1)(x-1) + C(x+1)(x-1)?
Wait ignore the brackets on the C and I got C=3 and B=1
Purple43Monkey
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Sorry, in this case you substitute, so let x=1 and then let x=-1
Purple43Monkey
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I think it should only split into 2 terms

Name:  maths 2.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  110.5 KB

Does this work and make sense?
e1eanor
Rep:
Sorry, in this case you substitute, so let x=1 and then let x=-1
Got it, can I ask about a two-marker on the same topic?
Purple43Monkey
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Of course!
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I think it should only split into 2 terms

Does this work and make sense?
Don't post solutions - sorry, it looks wrong anyway
e1eanor
Rep:
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  125.3 KBQuestion 5 part b - for part a I got it equals 1+ 2/x+1 + 3/2x-1
Purple43Monkey
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Ah yeah im so sorry, for the first question you need to firstly divide as you have a top heavy fraction, then you do that step. Basically you did the first step right, then you do the extra bit. I can pm you the answer if you want
Last edited by Purple43Monkey; 1 month ago
e1eanor
Rep:
Ah yeah im so sorry, for the first question you need to firstly divide as you have a top heavy fraction, then you do that step. Basically you did the first step right, then you do the extra bit. I can pm you the answer if you want
Do I just sub in x=1/2? It’s the inequality it wants that’s confusing me. Should be obvious
Purple43Monkey
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Do I just sub in x=1/2? It’s the inequality it wants that’s confusing me. Should be obvious
Sorry i meant for your original question you need to first do polynomial division (as I think you originally did) and then split into partial fractions. I appear to be a bit brain dead at the moment. Apologies for any confusion!
Last edited by Purple43Monkey; 1 month ago
e1eanor
Rep:
Sorry i meant for your original question you need to first do polynomial division (as I think you originally did) and then split into partial fractions. I appear to be a bit brain dead at the moment. Apologies for any confusion!
I’ve got the answer for part a, it’s part b
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I’ve got the answer for part a, it’s part b
Just think about the signs of the different partial fractions when x>1/2
Last edited by mqb2766; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (39)
32.23%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (55)
45.45%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (26)
21.49%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.83%

Watched Threads