The Student Room Group

Can i raise my maths grade in 2 weeks

Hi, please be honest with me (but not too mean haha)

is it somehow possible for me to raise my current maths a level grade (D) to a C or B? my first paper is in around 2 weeks. i will still have to be revising my other subjects so i won’t be able to give 100% of my time to it.

also, if you have any advice on how to do this please let me know!!

thank you for all the help
Hi,

Just do practice questions consistently, whenever you can. Use 30 minute timers and 5 minute breaks in between to make sure the revision now is structured and efficient etc. Whatever questions you get right and feel confident with, great. Whatever style of question you keep getting wrong, then make sure to see where it is wrong, then use a textbook, lesson powerpoint or teacher etc to see the correct method to do that style of question. Don't speed through learning where it was wrong. You have to make sure you know, for certain how to get it right next time.

Hopefully, grade boundaries will be in your favour too!

That's all I can say.

Good luck!
Original post by emilia2004

is it somehow possible for me to raise my current maths a level grade (D) to a C or B? my first paper is in around 2 weeks. i will still have to be revising my other subjects so i won’t be able to give 100% of my time to it.

I mean, listen, nothing's impossible but it also depends on your timetable. How spaced out are your exams and how good are you at getting your head down to get work done? My first Maths paper is on the 6th of June :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by shyneeee
I mean, listen, nothing's impossible but it also depends on your timetable. How spaced out are your exams and how good are you at getting your head down to get work done? My first Maths paper is on the 6th of June :smile:

mines on the 7th of june! my exams are not too spread out though which kind of sucks since i literally have both english and maths on the same day :/ - hopefully i’ll manage fine though
mines on the 7th of june! my exams are not too spread out though which kind of sucks since i literally have both english and maths on the same day :/ - hopefully i’ll manage fine though

Oh good luck. Don't worry about it too much. I say divide your time up so that if you're struggling more with Maths, you do more past paper practice for it and start off by doing ppqs with your notes open, gradually progressing to doing them without. English for me has always kind of been prepping a few days before because I never found it difficult so if you're on the same boat then I say dedicate most of your time to Maths

depends how smart you are. can you learn everything easily within 5 minutes? if so, you can learn ALL of gcse higher math within 2 or 3 days with ease

Yes!! Just practice as many questions as you can, focus on the topics you aren't sure about, and then what i'd suggest maybe doing a practice paper to see the areas you are struggling with. Just make sure you know like the techniques on tackling the different types of questions. Doing more questions will defo help with this!
Original post by krypton114
depends how smart you are. can you learn everything easily within 5 minutes? if so, you can learn ALL of gcse higher math within 2 or 3 days with ease

the op is doing a-level maths

Use the AI, look through the topics you are weakest at and highlight. Then use maths genie, TL maths, ur teacher etc. To find an explanation of how to do it (and why as well as different methods and different scenarios). Try and understand the topic thoroughly. Then use maths genie exam questions + text book questions to consolidate this knowledge. From this point on you could choose either method to focus on you weakness.
Have Not revised/poor knowledge of content: Continue with text book questions, Move on to exam style review and mixed exercises. If you run out of questions use save my exams.
If you have revised but continue to do poorly in tests you have an issue with exam technique. Sit an exam paper in exam conditions. Once your time is up switch to a different coloured pen and attempt every question (if you ran out of time). Then mark your paper and note topics you have struggled with. With these topics watch a video then do some textbook Qs. Keep attempting past papers until you are working about 1 mark a minute and have time to go over and double check questions.
Also edexcel have released topic tests for all the topics, so if ur struggling in any maths topic in particular u could try doing the topic test for that topic.Also I recommend keeping a separate folder and collecting any questions u found particularly challenging and redoing these questions a day or two before your actual exam. GOOD LUCK!!! Remember to look after yourself physically and mentally too!!
Original post by imscrewedlol
Also edexcel have released topic tests for all the topics, so if ur struggling in any maths topic in particular u could try doing the topic test for that topic.Also I recommend keeping a separate folder and collecting any questions u found particularly challenging and redoing these questions a day or two before your actual exam. GOOD LUCK!!! Remember to look after yourself physically and mentally too!!

Yesss! These ones are so helpful. I would also recommend MathsGenie worksheets if you're done with the topic tests: https://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/newalevel.html. Please make sure that you scroll down to the A-Level part and not the AS part.

I’d say by far the best thing to do is do as many past papers as you can possibly do, but what’s more important is the marking process. If there’s a question you only got a few marks make sure you revisit the concept in the question then do some questions on that concept. Then do another paper and another until you see your grades improve. Hope this helps.
I'm taking my maths paper 1 for edexcel tommorow as Well, and I'm usually a c grade person, but to make sure I get a good chunk of marks, I just went over the 4 previous past papers - honestly with the wide variety of topics displayed, I feel pretty confident, so I recommend you at least do that 👍
(edited 1 year ago)
Anything is possible, if you put in the time and effort. Construct a timetable, allocating the necessary time you think you need to study each topic, and stick to it! Focus on the most important subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest