What is Clearing?

Watch this thread
University of Derby
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Too early to talk about this? We don’t think so.
It’s an opportunity
Clearing is another opportunity for you to find a place at university this September. Here's a quick guide to how it works.
The main Clearing activity takes place on and after results day – this year (2022), that’s on 18 August. But it’s good to be prepared, in advance, for every eventuality.
To start with, let's have a look at why Clearing might be a good option for you:
  • You've changed your mind about your course or university since you applied and made your firm and insurance choices
  • You're not currently holding any offers - either because you've declined all the offers you received or you weren't offered a place on any of the courses you applied for
  • You've only recently decided that you'd like to apply to university
  • You are unsure whether you'll achieve the grades you need for your firm and insurance choices
Whatever the reason, Clearing is a way for you to reset and take a positive step forward.
Plan ahead
If you think you might want to use Clearing, start researching early to get a good idea of the universities you might want to approach. Find the course you want to study and check that it’s available through Clearing. You can do this via the UCAS website or on individual university websites. And keep checking back as course availability will be regularly updated.
Pre-register
Clearing opens from early July but you can pre-register before then. At Derby, our Fast Track to Clearing means you can send us your details in advance and we'll call you on results day. If you already have your results, we may even be able to offer you a place before that.
On results day
Don't panic. It might be tempting to think that you need to take action quickly, but it's important to stay calm. Easier said than done, perhaps. But easier if you are prepared and organised.
If you are contacting universities, make sure you know the name of the course you want to apply for. It helps if you have your UCAS number to hand, along with details of any results, including your GCSEs or equivalent, as you will be asked for these. A pen and paper can be handy too.
However tempting it may be to curl up in a ball and hand the phone to someone else, you will need to make the phone call yourself. Universities can only talk to the student who is applying.
In exceptional circumstances, you might be able to nominate a representative, but you should be prepared to speak to staff about your application if possible. If you’re not comfortable on the phone, there might be other options, such as an online chat function.
Our Clearing hotline opens at 8am on 18 August 2022. The number will be prominently displayed on our website, along with other ways to contact us.
Last edited by University of Derby; 1 month ago
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Lovely thread
University of Derby
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Thanks 04MR17. :thumbsup:
And hello everyone.
One of my colleagues spoke recently to graduate Sile Sibanda who changed her plans after results day. Her exam results weren't what she was expecting so she used Clearing to ensure she could still start at uni that September. She's now a presenter for BBC Radio.
You can read Sile's story here.
I hope you find it helpful - and positive. Sile did.
All the best everyone. :crossedf:
^Toby
Last edited by University of Derby; 2 weeks ago
University of Derby
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
Oh, and here's a fantastic bit of advice from Sile:

"You will be surprised with what else you can do, the other opportunities – your mind opens up.

"When you're at college, you have that one place you're very focused on and you're like ‘OK, I need to get there’. And then when that crumbles you have to be a little bit creative and think: 'If I can't do that, what else can I do?'

"If you really want to go to uni and you haven't got the place you wanted, Clearing is the best option. If it wasn't for Clearing, I don't think I'd have come to uni."
Last edited by University of Derby; 2 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (39)
32.23%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (55)
45.45%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (26)
21.49%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.83%

Watched Threads