Nasa1726
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
When a bright light is shone into the eye, the diameter of the pupil decreases. What is this an example of ?
A) Accommodation
B) A simple reflex
C) Photosynthesis
D) Voluntary response
I put A being 100% sure of my answer, turns out its wrong and the correct answer is B. Can anyone explain why?
bee-supernova
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
I think accommodation refers to an adjustment in response to external conditions, as opposed to reflexes which act extremely fast and don't pass through the brain. The pupil reflex is in response to light, which could damage the eye so the body must respond very fast in order to prevent harm.
Kirbloggs
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Nasa1726)
When a bright light is shone into the eye, the diameter of the pupil decreases. What is this an example of ?
A) Accommodation
B) A simple reflex
C) Photosynthesis
D) Voluntary response
I put A being 100% sure of my answer, turns out its wrong and the correct answer is B. Can anyone explain why?
Accommodation usually acts as a reflex but it can also be consciously controlled. Also it specifically refers to variation of optical power by changing the form of the lens using the ciliary bodies. The question is asking about the diameter of the pupil, which is pupillary constriction, not accommodation. That is a simple reflex.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (38)
26.21%
As I expected (47)
32.41%
Harder (53)
36.55%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.83%

Watched Threads