The Student Room Group

25 May OCR MEI B Further Maths Paper Core

How did you guys find it? Personally I probably got less than 50 percent, I left so many questions blank, but that's just me because I haven't taken this course seriously at all (also lots of problems last year due to COVID and internal school stuff). Don't think many people do it but here's hoping that some people can share their opinions on it. I, for one, did not find it great.

Scroll to see replies

that paper went so ridiculously bad that im glad my accomodation at uni didn't need a deposit as im not getting in
Original post by benistheboss
that paper went so ridiculously bad that im glad my accomodation at uni didn't need a deposit as im not getting in

I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I applied to non competitive unis but I still need at the very least a B if I want to get in.. oh dear... I'll have to hit the grind for decision mechanics and stats..
Feel like it wasn’t the hardest paper ever. Compared to some of the older papers I thought this was a bit more doable but there were a lot of things I could have answered but didn’t because of gaps in knowledge. Hoping grade boundaries are lowered. Glad to know it’s not just my school doing OCR MEI B.
Original post by zxru2504
Feel like it wasn’t the hardest paper ever. Compared to some of the older papers I thought this was a bit more doable but there were a lot of things I could have answered but didn’t because of gaps in knowledge. Hoping grade boundaries are lowered. Glad to know it’s not just my school doing OCR MEI B.

Oh, I'm surprised to hear that! I actually thought the 2019-2021 papers were a lot easier than this one. But then again, yeah maybe it's due to content gaps, it varies from person to person. I hope grade boundaries are low too.
Anyone remember the answer to the first order differential equation question worth 9 marks. Dy/dx(4-x^2)^1/2 + xy = 1 Think that was the question
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Mattspendlove
Anyone remember the answer to the first order differential equation question worth 9 marks. Dy/dx(4-x^2)^1/2 + xy = 1 Think that was the question

is that the disgusting one where you get like (4+x^2)^3/2 on the other side, fairly sure i gave up at that point or something i cant even remember , i probably did it so wrong
(edited 1 year ago)
I got y=(arcsin(x/2)+c)/(4-x^2)^1/2 Idr what the values were but that was the form
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 8
i got a whole bunch of lns in that one but i did partial fractions instead of arcsin when i integrated something somewhere.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by benistheboss
is that the disgusting one where you get like (4+x^2)^3/2 on the other side, fairly sure i gave up at that point or something i cant even remember , i probably did it so wrong

I didn't get that one either, I couldn't finish the integration!
Original post by Ameister69
I got y=(arcsin(x/2)+c)/(4-x^2)^1/2 Idr what the values were but that was the form

Yh once u subed x=0 and th3 other one c was 5/6 or sm pike that
Original post by PerpetualAgony

My integration skills are terrible haha, I really need to brush up on them for the normal maths
Original post by juk725
i got a whole bunch of lns in that one but i did partial fractions instead of arcsin when i integrated something somewhere.

Damn partial fractions???
Original post by PerpetualAgony

Did anyone get the matrix one at the beginning for k. I got k=-1/16 and something else idr
What did people get for 3coshx=2sinhx^2
i got that too and -1 i think if i’m thinking of the right question
Also do we think grade boundaries will be lower
Original post by blossomyuh
i got that too and -1 i think if i’m thinking of the right question

Yeah same
Original post by student1086
What did people get for 3coshx=2sinhx^2

i ended up with a quartic like e^4x - some bits but i couldn’t solve it so i think i did something wrong
I got x is arcosh 2 as it can’t be x is arcosh -1/2

Quick Reply