The Student Room Group

can anyone give me feedback on my 12 mark geography a level assess question

I wrote an answer to the question 'Assess the role of schemes in reducing the environmental and social impacts of globalisation'. I did email it to my teacher initially but she hasnt responded so if anyone here could give me some feedback it would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Globalisation refers to the increasing interdependence between the worlds’ economies, people and cultures. The most effective scheme at reducing social and environmental costs of globalisation is Fair Trade. 65% of people in the UK say they choose fairtrade products. Fairtrade products have increased prices so that producers receive higher products and improve their trading conditions which lowers worker exploitation, reducing the social impacts of globalisation. Additionally, environmental regulations must be met for a product to be labelled as fair trade which improves environmental standards. Fair trade tackles both social and environmental issues of globalisation worldwide, making it the most effective scheme. However, Fair trade has been criticised as profits often do not reach the poorest farmers and are instead received by corporate firms, meaning it may not effectively reduce worker exploitation.
Another effective scheme is recycling. Materials that would otherwise be thrown away as trash are broken down and reused for other projects. This reduces the rate at which new natural resources are used. For example, by recycling an aluminium can 95% of energy required to make a new one is saved. Recycling reduces environmental impacts of globalisation as it is sustainable by reducing the amount of material that would be thrown away. However, recycling requires lots of water and energy to transport waste to recycling plants and treat waste which can increase pollution levels.
The least effective scheme at reducing social and environmental impacts of globalisation is NGO’s. NGOs such as Keep Britain Tidy advocate for cleaner environments by reducing litter. Globalisation has contributed to a ‘throw away society’ in which consumer products are not designed to be reused and are quickly thrown away and replaced with new goods. This reduces the environmental impacts of globalisation as it improves environmental quality. NGOs such as War on Want tackle social issues as they informed Tesco that their South African female fruit farmers did not have a toilet available. Tesco then told farm owners it would switch suppliers until a toilet was available. This improved working conditions for farmers, reducing the social impacts of globalisation. However, NGO’s have limited financial resources meaning they can only operate on a small scale so their overall impact is very limited. Some countries even ban NGOs from operating, such as Zimbabwe banning British NGOs in 2008. NGO’s are therefore the least effective scheme as they do not have a very widespread effect on reducing impacts of globalisation.
(edited 1 year ago)
Im no teacher but that would certainly be towards the top marks as you have weighed up both sides of each of the methods and used examples to back it up. I reckon it would certainly get 10/12 maybe have a short conclusion at the bottom with a quick couple lines on your over riding view of the question
Original post by c_hindle1204
Im no teacher but that would certainly be towards the top marks as you have weighed up both sides of each of the methods and used examples to back it up. I reckon it would certainly get 10/12 maybe have a short conclusion at the bottom with a quick couple lines on your over riding view of the question

alright thank you for your help:smile::smile:

Quick Reply

Latest