Fresh Start on Social Life in 2nd Year?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So, I'm an international student at UOM. My first year here was good academically (so far), but lacked a lot of social life. I've made some friends but none of them are quite close enough - it's more like I only know them - and all of them are from my country.

I know this has been hugely my fault but in my defense, my accomodation was one of the least social ones in all of UOM and hasn't given me many opoortunities to make friends. One thing I have noticed is that British students mostly only are a part of a british friend circle.

I want to start second year fresh - trying to make new friends by joining societies and all of that stuff. Do you think it's possible or am I too late now?

Any tips on how I can make more friends.. I don't want to remember my time at uni as something dull in the future..
De Montfort University
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So, I'm an international student at UOM. My first year here was good academically (so far), but lacked a lot of social life. I've made some friends but none of them are quite close enough - it's more like I only know them - and all of them are from my country.

I know this has been hugely my fault but in my defense, my accomodation was one of the least social ones in all of UOM and hasn't given me many opoortunities to make friends. One thing I have noticed is that British students mostly only are a part of a british friend circle.

I want to start second year fresh - trying to make new friends by joining societies and all of that stuff. Do you think it's possible or am I too late now?

Any tips on how I can make more friends.. I don't want to remember my time at uni as something dull in the future..
Hi,

Joining societies and sports clubs is the perfect place to meet new friends! I'm in my last year of university and I still tried out new societies and managed to make new friends. It's honestly never too late. I recommend joining societies and sports clubs you are interested in, first. Try not to worry too much if you don't instantly make new friends. Long lasting friendships take time.

It took me a while to find the friends that I have now. I went to various taster sessions and hopped from society to society. Eventually, I found a crowd that felt right. What societies are you thinking of joining?

I hope this helps,
- Jesse, 3rd Year Student Ambassador
HWU StudentRep 1
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

Hi! I can assure you that it's definitely not too late

Trying to make friends by joining societies, going to events, getting involved in things are very good ways of getting to know people and making friends. I found that having a social media group chat for our course year and being active in that chat was a very effective way at making friends also!

Personally, I didn't form any strong friendships until I started second year as I really struggled to connect with people in my first year But in my second year I started to get involved in stuff, became more active in out group chat, and connected with some really good people who I'm still friends with now in my 4th year and will stay friends with when I graduate!

Sometimes these things take time and that's okay- I was in the same position. I hope this helps and brings you some reassurance.

-Claire
4th Year Psychology student
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (26)
27.66%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (31)
32.98%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (9)
9.57%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
3.19%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (5)
5.32%
I’m starting to consider my university options (14)
14.89%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (4)
4.26%
I’m not planning on going to university (2)
2.13%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed