Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Just got new tyres.. checked the tyre pressure and.... watch

ReputationRep:
    Decided to check the tyre pressures as the car kept drifting to one side. Bear in mind that my front tyres should both be at 28 PSI. What had the muppets at the tyre place pumped one of mine up to?

52 PSI.

W...T...F...

maybe they thaught it should be 28 bar? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dh00001)
    maybe they thaught it should be 28 bar? :p:
    If it were pumped to 28bar he wouldn't have tyres anymore :eek:

ReputationRep:
    lol. thats quite a difference!

ReputationRep:
    they might have just left the pressure in they used to create the seal on the rims. i always check after having tires done.

ReputationRep:
    I am having similar problems here. Not very noticable but if i let go of the wheel, it gradually drifts off to the left. Maybe I should check my tires.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by osamab)
    I am having similar problems here. Not very noticable but if i let go of the wheel, it gradually drifts off to the left. Maybe I should check my tires.
    that could be due to many reasons including the camber of the road.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lara C.)
    that could be due to many reasons including the camber of the road.
    The technical term is *straightness

ReputationRep:
    yes it is more noticeable on some roads, but I never used to have this problem in the old astra.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by osamab)
    yes it is more noticeable on some roads, but I never used to have this problem in the old astra.
    you cant use that as a comparison. check the tyre wear, if its uneven then you may have an alignment problem of some kind. if not, just ignore it and dont take your hands off the wheel. my car does it slightly, as does many other cars ive driven.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Door)
    More like gradient!

A road is naturally /\ (for rain runoff) so a car has an inclination to go left, but the car should be set up so that it does not at factory. If it does go left/right whatever, then you should check your pressure by all means, but also the tracking is what normally goes.

Very cheap to fix too.

OP: My tyres max rating is 45PSI so that was bloody dangerous!

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys reckon it could've done any permanent damage to the structural integrity of the tyre?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghost)
    Do you guys reckon it could've done any permanent damage to the structural integrity of the tyre?
    Check what the maximum pressure is on the sidewall of the tyres. If it is less that what they pumped it up to you could go back and tell them you want the tyres swapped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghost)
    Couldn't say, talk to the garage, if it was above the Max rating for the tyre. Proving it is a different matter tho, now that you have let the tyres down again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Door)
    No, it's camber.

ReputationRep:
    i thought cars were meant to drift to the left slightly, incase you fell asleep at the wheel or something, so the car wouldn't drift to the right into oncoming traffic...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    No, it's camber.
    No, you're camber.

Does no one get jokes anymore?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Door)
    No, you're camber.

Traditionally jokes are "funny". Maybe you didn't get that memo?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Traditionally jokes are "funny". Maybe you didn't get that memo?
    Sarcasm is really funny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Door)
    No, you're camber.

THAT was a joke?! :confused:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2008
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.