The Student Room Group

Further maths now or never?

Soo, I'm in year 12 and realised that I should have taken further maths. I talked to my teachers and they said they'd let me do AS further maths as a private candidate. I want to do a computer science course and I want to try Cambridge and
it strongly suggests further maths and says if you've decided its important too late then it suggests AS FM.
Would other top unis also see this as good and increase the chances of me getting an offer?
Would it be useless or stupid to take FM now just for that and potentially jeopardise my other 3 A-level which I need to get A stars in or would it be manageable?
Anyone whos done FM is it possible to self teach the course by doing like an hour per day every day? Any tips in general?
Any advice with anything would help immensely as I genuinely don't know what to do.
Durham - FM not required.
Bristol - FM not required.
Exeter - FM not required.
Liverpool - FM not required.
York - FM not required.
Nottingham - FM not required.
Bath - FM not required.

Etc, etc.
replying to this in case it gets new updates because I'm in the same exact position and don't know if I should risk it with an AS FM or take an AS physics which is a lesser risk than FM for me
Original post by McGinger
Durham - FM not required.
Bristol - FM not required.
Exeter - FM not required.
Liverpool - FM not required.
York - FM not required.
Nottingham - FM not required.
Bath - FM not required.

Etc, etc.

Does the same go for London based top unis (Imperial, KCL, UCL etc.)?
Is maths and physics more of a priority than FM?
Original post by bears15
Does the same go for London based top unis (Imperial, KCL, UCL etc.)?
Is maths and physics more of a priority than FM?

You will need to check for each university.

Is physics ever a requirement, or even a recommended subject, for CS? (I mean, as a software engineer with a physics degree, I'm certainly not saying it's a bad idea, but I've never heard of it being an expectation for a CS degree.)
Reply 5
Original post by Snigdha02
Soo, I'm in year 12 and realised that I should have taken further maths. I talked to my teachers and they said they'd let me do AS further maths as a private candidate. I want to do a computer science course and I want to try Cambridge and
it strongly suggests further maths and says if you've decided its important too late then it suggests AS FM.
Would other top unis also see this as good and increase the chances of me getting an offer?
Would it be useless or stupid to take FM now just for that and potentially jeopardise my other 3 A-level which I need to get A stars in or would it be manageable?
Anyone whos done FM is it possible to self teach the course by doing like an hour per day every day? Any tips in general?
Any advice with anything would help immensely as I genuinely don't know what to do.

Hiya, in order for a shot at Cambridge and every London university, you really should take further maths AS. They will see that it was offered to you and you don't want a lower chance of getting in just because you didn't do it.
To put it into perspective, many of the best applicants applying to Cambridge and to other top CS courses, such as Warwick and imperial will do 4 A-levels. Maths and physics are essential but if you want to stand out more and have a good chance at Cambridge you should do further maths.

I currently take further maths and I can assure you the AS isn't too difficult once you get your head around new concepts. It is very doable and you wont jeopardize your other a levels if you are an A* predicted student in maths, hope this helps
Original post by skylark2
You will need to check for each university.

Is physics ever a requirement, or even a recommended subject, for CS? (I mean, as a software engineer with a physics degree, I'm certainly not saying it's a bad idea, but I've never heard of it being an expectation for a CS degree.)

I wasn't sure if it was a requirement but I just figured it would complement well with maths and the fact that I want to pursue animation or game design when I'm older. I've also checked some universities and they predominantly mention maths being the most prioritised subject. I'm just unsure if either doing further maths or physics would be better to stand out.

I'm also currently in year 11 and my school is offering upcoming sixth form students the choice of doing either 3 a-levels with EPQ or 4 without EPQ. I'm unsure whether I want to do 4 and do CS, maths, physics and FM or just the first 3 and EPQ. I'm not sure if EPQ is that helpful as I have a sibling who dropped it yet still went to a good London uni.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by bears15
I wasn't sure if it was a requirement but I just figured it would compliment well with maths and the fact that I want to pursue animation or game design when I'm older. I've also checked some universities and they predominantly mention maths being the most prioritised subject. I'm just unsure if either doing further maths or physics would be better to stand out.

I'm also currently in year 11 and my school is offering upcoming sixth form students the choice of doing either 3 a-levels with EPQ or 4 without EPQ. I'm unsure whether I want to do 4 and do CS, maths, physics and FM or just the first 3 and EPQ. I'm not sure if EPQ is that helpful as I have a sibling who dropped it yet still went to a good London uni.

further maths would be more important than physics. usually just maths a-level is enough
Reply 8
Hey, update:
I ended up taking further maths AS, I hope it'll be useful for my uni application but also for my knowledge in general. I would rather take the risk now than regret it later when I wouldn't have the option of taking it so yeah. And if it doesn't work out, I can always drop it.

I would also say further maths is more worth it than physics as all the unis I've talked to have all really cared about FM and nothing else really so if you want to be less disadvantaged then I would say FM, if you just like physics better then go for that?
Original post by Shrubby:)
replying to this in case it gets new updates because I'm in the same exact position and don't know if I should risk it with an AS FM or take an AS physics which is a lesser risk than FM for me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending